Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Names for Grandparents

NewJersey13NewJersey13
posted 2 years 5 months ago
I have two children. My oldest is 15 years old and my youngest is two. For many years I was a single mother. It was just me and my son. My son always called my parents "mom mom" and "pop pop." Three years ago I got married and had my daughter. I was trying to encourage my daughter to call my Mother I Law "grandma", but she also calls her "mom mom." It really upsets my mother that my daughter is also calling my Mother In Law "mom mom." My mother says that she was "mom mom" first. I don't know what to do. I don't think I should ask my mother in law can my daughter call her something else. What would you do if you were in this situation?

Akiram13Akiram13
Explain to your mother it doesnt change the fact that she is mom mom. To try and understand that your little one means nothing by it. It wont be long til she can say grandma or something else. They are both Grandmas, there shouldnt be jealousy or competition.

Try to slowly teach your daughter to call her grandmas something else if possible. I can see it is difficult for you because you are in the middle. Smile

darkchilddarkchild
I think your mother should matured enough to know her grand daughter is too young to differentiate and she will with time. You shouldn't stress over this, rather stay focused on raising your family in love and unity.

Amelia88Amelia88
Ah, this one is hard for me to answer because I called both of my grandparents "grandma" and "grandpa" on both sides of the family.

I think it is a good idea to just reassure your mother that your daughter is at an age where differentiating can be difficult - I've known plenty of kids for instance that have called every single animal on the planet a "dog" for a while, because they're most common with their family dog. It could be seen as a compliment that she's calling her other grandmother mom mom too - maybe try to emphasize that point of it? Smile

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews