Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Saving money from being a coupon queen.

sheebah7sheebah7
posted 1 year 9 months ago
Okay we all have been behind the woman with lots of groceries and a coupon for every item. Yes this causes impatience and is a bit nerve wrecking. However, I want to be the coupon lady causing all the fuss in line at the grocery store. I want to know who is an expert at coupon clipping and can you share some tips. The money saved is well worth a few hecklers in the back.

Amelia88Amelia88
I've often wanted to do this, but haven't really known where to start! I have seen those TV shows like Extreme Couponing and wondered just how they find all the coupons and use them to their advantage. Our household grocery budget is one of our biggest expenses, but I think it's also one of the easiest expenses to modify - so I would love to learn more about this side of things too! Hoping that someone can share some tips with us!

MariposaMariposa
I used to be very much into couponing... I saved huge amounts every time I went to the grocery store. I just haven't taken the time for it lately.

For one thing, things have changed pretty much just from like 5 years ago. The coupons that come in the Sunday paper expire a LOT faster than they used to, and in the past you didn't have to buy two or three of an item to use a coupon either.

The thing that really made me tired of it, though, was the fact that my store's computer system rejects computer-printed coupons about 50% of the time. Talk about being the one in line holding everyone else up! I knew they were valid coupons, and the cashier knew, but had to call the manager with everyone waiting behind me... and a manager who said no, if the computer didn't scan them, they couldn't give the discount, blah blah.

After 3 or 4 times of that happening, I lost the enjoyment and the interest.

When it comes to the extreme couponers, I'm very much against that. Okay, if we eat a lot of cereal or oatmeal, I can see buying multiple boxes with a good coupon. But those people are ruining it for everyone else. Someone goes in and cleans the shelf of 25 deodorants just because they can, and they were "nearly free"... well then guess what? The store changes policy so they don't lose more money, and we all get punished.

Not to mention how long it would take to use 25 deodorants... so yep, I've seen the excesses being sold (for a lot more than they got the item for, I might add) and I'm not even sure that's legal... or at least moral. Slippery slope.

I'd rather get the things my family will actually use at a good bargain price or with a good coupon and leave it at that.

Amelia88Amelia88

Mariposa said:

When it comes to the extreme couponers, I'm very much against that. Okay, if we eat a lot of cereal or oatmeal, I can see buying multiple boxes with a good coupon. But those people are ruining it for everyone else. Someone goes in and cleans the shelf of 25 deodorants just because they can, and they were "nearly free"... well then guess what? The store changes policy so they don't lose more money, and we all get punished.

I always used to watch that show and think to myself why would anyone buy that much deodorant? Or toilet paper? I get it, we use it, but some people on the extreme couponing shows had enough stuff to last them through a zombie apocalypse! I just wouldn't have the space in my house to do it...it would be a fine line between extreme couponing and just downright hoarding behaviour if you ask me!

CommaCatCommaCat
I use coupons occasionally, but only when I have coupons for items I really use. I've tried to be more diligent in the past and use coupons to really stock up and help save money, but in the long run, I was spending more money because I was buying things we wouldn't necessarily use just because I had the coupon. I'd justify it by saying I could try this alternate brand, but in the end, I always end up going back to the brands I'm loyal to. I find I'm more successful in saving money at the grocery by planning my weekly meals around the foods that are on sale that particular week.

I do, however, try to use coupons for major department stores whenever I can, since they generally tend to be a percentage off total purchase rather than specific items.

morgoodiemorgoodie
I use to watch the show and would think it was ridiculous the amount of toothbrushes, laundry soap, candy bars, and sports drinks the would end up with. Not to mention the amount of items in their stockpile. I understand when some of them donate these items to their churches and other organizations to help the needy people in their community, but how does this help them go on vacation or whatever else they say they do with the money they saved. I just do not understand it.

I use coupons and I love it when I have a coupon for something that is on sale so I get a bigger savings. Plus, I use apps that I can save more money on top of that by scanning my items or scaning the receipt. So all that I understand, it is just the other things I do not.

rz3300rz3300
I seem to go in phases when I use coupons, and whenever I do I kick myself for not using them more because I forget how much money you can actually save if you take a little time out. My last trip to the store they had a great deal a whole bunch of canned goods with the coupons, so I stocked up and saved about $25. Not too bad.

MariposaMariposa
posted 1 year 8 months ago

morgoodie said:
I use to watch the show and would think it was ridiculous the amount of toothbrushes, laundry soap, candy bars, and sports drinks the would end up with. Not to mention the amount of items in their stockpile. I understand when some of them donate these items to their churches and other organizations to help the needy people in their community, but how does this help them go on vacation or whatever else they say they do with the money they saved. I just do not understand it.
Same here, morgoodie... certain items I might stock up on three or four with a good coupon... like toilet tissue or shampoo that we use daily, but like you said, it *is* ridiculous to clear the store shelves. It always felt to me as if it would be not only cheating the next person looking for the item, but also the store.

That's not really far-fetched because I've seen more than one store changing their coupon policy when people started taking advantage like that.

I LOVE finding a great bargain. I HATE greed.

BarbieDollBarbieDoll
posted 1 year 8 months ago
I used to live in a place where the couponing-stockpiling life was possible, and I did coupon quite a bit. But now we moved to an area where couponing is practically impossible. I have noticed when high value coupons come out the stores will up the price of the product, or just take it off the shelves so you can't find it. And they absolutely don't do B1G1 sales or allow doubling coupons, or using more than one.

So nowadays I print coupons just for the stuff I use, and once in a while use Ibotta, but really haven't been able to find a way to save any significant amount of money like I used to.

AakritiBasuAakritiBasu
posted 1 year 6 months ago
In my opinion online games are best for your entertainment . Now you can also earn money by completing surveys through Bulmen . .

windowrushwindowrush
posted 6 months 2 weeks ago
I remember watching that tv show where these ladies have their stockpile of coupons and ended up paying nothing in the grocery. i was thinking, maybe i can also do that. but i think you need to be well organized to do that. i would love to get some tips too

sugarnspicesugarnspice
posted 6 months 2 weeks ago
Everyone needs a coupon from time to time so keep it up!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews