Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Do any of these things bother you?

bernz_23bernz_23
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
Hi everyone! I was just wondering if you'd help me out. I'm writing an article for my uni coursework on something to do with parenting. I was just wondering if you'd let me know if any of these topics below are remotely interesting to you or if they're old and have been done:

Smacking - is it ever ok?
What can you do if your child is being bullied?
What is the cost of having a child today?
When a couple with a child split, do fathers have enough rights?
What can you do to keep your children safe when they're using the Internet?
What are the benefits of giving your baby/child organic food, if any?

Post below what you think. Thank you!!
Bernie x

boosmummyboosmummy
The smacking for and against is always on one forum or another. Never seen anything on bullying or fathers rights (to which my brother is constantly in court trying to gain access to his kids!) The internet question isn't something we've thought about yet as our eldest is 3 in July and youngest has just had his 1st birthday so we've a bit to go yet.

DigiParentsDigiParents
Hello Bernie

There is already a thread on Internet Safety with some useful tips on there and organisations who can provide further information.

The earlier that parents can incorporate teaching their children about Internet Safety, the more it will hopefully become second nature.

As a parent one of the key factors that you can take control of is parental controls on the computer and also deciding on your family Internet policy. This would include where in the house computers are located, how long kids can spend on a computer per night, what they should do if view something they are not comfortable with etc.

Let me know if you want any more information.

DP

kjermainkjermain
- My blog
i' assuming that the parents aren't married but i'm sure that if the father is named on the birth certificate of babies born sometime after 2003 then they get the same parental rights as the mother. (if i remember rightly Suspect )

hipmommahipmomma
The point i noticed most was about the cost of having a child today.

I personally dont believe it is anything like the amount suggested.

When they are little you find that the standard child benefit payment covers nappies, wipes and milk on a weekly basis.

As for everything else they need - clothes, toys, cot, bath etc etc - it can be as cheap of as expensive as you like.

I know that even starting over from scratch, i can kit myself out with everything needed for a new arrival for less than £200.

Ongoing items can all be picked up second hand, and actually i like to do that, better then perfectly good stuff filling up the landfills.

Yes they cost money, and at times you do have to fork out, but I haven never seen the financial side of things as an issue with my children.

Just my opinion!! Very happy

sugarsugar Moderator
Smacking - is it ever ok?
IMHO yes - in some cases it is - every child is different as we are forever being told and each child reacts to things differntly - some react to a smack whereas some react to a raised voice, etc etc. Do believe there is already a thread about this somewhere.
https://www.justparents.co.uk/ftopict-478.html

What can you do if your child is being bullied?
TBH in this day and age not a lot! i was bullied all trhough my senoir school years and my mum was forever n the head's office but nothing ever stopped it and if u stick up for ur child then u end up in trouble - think the only thing u can do is try and teach ur child to stick up for themselves or ignore the bullies - sounds awful i know but as a parent u can see the teachers numerous numbers of times but nothing ever gets done - our school policy was that bullies would be suspended but none of mine ever were they were told to say sorry which to me is nothing as they dont mean it!

What is the cost of having a child today?
as its been said its as expensive or as cheap as u make it! you dont have to spend hundreds out on items when there are perfectly good less expensive versions out there! unfortunatley after having DD we had to give all her baby stuff away as we were living with in-laws and had no where to store anything but it went to a good home and nothing was thrown away - the items such as moses basket, bedding etc went to DFs aunt, and all dds clothing has bene taken into the nurseries ive worked in for spare clothes Smile her pram is at MILs "just in case" as MIL now has our niece during the week while SIL works and anything else i take to chartiy shops. We kept DD's cot and high chair which is currently being used for DS and most of DS's clothes have been given to me by a mate who has a litle boy 8wks older then DS so ive been lucky really!

When a couple with a child split, do fathers have enough rights?
i have read any child born after dec 2003 and as lon as father is named on birth certificate he now has parental responsibilities as much as the mother now which means my DF has equal rights over our son but not our daugther! we're not married yet.

What can you do to keep your children safe when they're using the Internet?
there is a thread on this below:
https://www.justparents.co.uk/ftopict-494.html

What are the benefits of giving your baby/child organic food, if any?
tbh i dont think there are any - ive looked after lots of children in my years as a nursery nurse and a good number of these were on organic diets and tbh all ive seen it do is give them the runs!! nothing else was different about the child to those on a non-orgnaic diet!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews