Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Buy Cookie or Bake Cookie

purplepen88purplepen88
posted 2 years 7 months ago
My kids love cookies and I am always buying cookies at the store. I often think I should just learn to make cookies and save myself some money. It would be a healthier option but finding the time to bake cookies is difficult especially when I'm not that good a baker. I love the time I spend cooking with my kids so I think it would be great if I had some foolproof cookie recipes. So do you buy cookies from the store or do you like to bake your own? Do you have some great cookie recipes you'd can share?

rz3300rz3300
Well you would have to be a fool to prefer the store bought kind to anything homemade, but then again I am not the greatest baker out there so mine might not really be the best example to use. That said, I think that baking them is a good thing that you can do with your kids, and it teaches them about food and cooking and also things like math and science...that is a win win for me.

BarbieDollBarbieDoll
I know what you're saying, I should probably make an effort to bake at home more often too. Even though you are using some bad ingredients (like butter or sugar) it's probably still a million times better than processed cookies with all the additives.

One recipe I do make sometimes is pretty easy and I think it's relatively healthy:

1 cup peanut butter (I use Smuckers natural PB)
1 cup sugar (or honey works too)
1 egg

Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Sometimes I also sprinkle in a little bit of coconut flour to change the consistency and add some fiber.

You can google 3-ingredient peanut butter cookies and find better directions. It's a really fast and easy recipe!

WidowWidow
My kids love to bake cookies and I enjoy doing it with them. However like you said, finding the time to do it is an entirely different story!! Sometimes I will cheat and buy the rolls of cookie dough. They're still technically baking and it doesn't take nearly the amount of time as making them from scratch.

We also do energy bites from time to time. It's not exactly a cookie but definitely fills that sweet tooth we all get from time to time.
  • 1 cup dried oatmeal (I use quaker old fashioned oats. Technically you can use any flavor for a different taste/variety.)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (This can be substituted with the no peanut varieties if anyone has an allergy.)
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
We've added chai seeds, flax seeds, coconut, and white chocolate chips.

Once all mixed together, simply roll into balls and pop in the freezer!

Amelia88Amelia88
I hear you on being time pressed these days! I have to say that for the most part, when we have cookies they're store bought...I tend to bake more cakes/breads/cupcakes from scratch, but cookies are one of those things that I am not the best at making! My mother in law is great at baking them though, so we always get the delicious yummies that she makes!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews