Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Breastfeeding at 8 months

BedheadBedhead
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
Hi everybody, just wanted to ask a quick question to all those mums who have carried on breastfeeding older babies. My LO is 8 months old today and is definately loosing intrest in her milk. She has three milk feeds a day (in theory!), first thing in the morning, about 3 in the afternoon and at bedtime. Quite often she doesn't have much at 3, today she fed well then but had hardly anything at breakfast. I was just wondering how often you feed your LO's and if it is less, when you gave up the other feeds, I'm a bit concerned that although she eats well, and is gaining weight steadily, she isn't getting enough milk.

adamsmumadamsmum
hi, i breastfed my little boy until he wsa 10 months and only gave up because when he started to get teeth he didnt suckle, he just nibbled on my nipple, haha. I tried to stop him but he wudnt so i changed and put him onto powdered milk. He only had one feed in the morning and one at night and then meals invbetween. If you feel your LO isnt getting enough milk from you breastfeeding try putting her onto formula so that you can measure exactly how much she is having. Also, try mixing milk into her food eg mashed potato, fromage frais, cereal bars.
There is no exact length of time to breastfeed for , it's just a case of if and when she wants it.
Good luck, hope this helped xx becs xx Kiss

pinkfairypinkfairy
Hi, I replied to this on AK, so I have cut and pasted on here just in case you didn't read it.
Hi, I think at this age I stopped the afternoon feed and Scarlett had one in the morning and one at night before bed and one dreamfeed when I went to bed. Be guided by your little one, the afternoon one seems the one that she is losing interest in so give it a go. As long as she is having plenty of calcuim rich food I wouldn't worry too much about dropping a feed. Hope this helps!

BedheadBedhead
Cheers Guys, Pinkfairy I saw your reply on AK as well thanks I think the reason I am worrying is because I enjoy feeding her so much and now she is getting big the end is in sight!

pinkfairypinkfairy
yeah I know what you mean about the end being in sight, for me very soon, Scarlett is 13 months and has one feed per day now, was going to stop at 13 months but she has started to really enjoy it again and is no hardship for me to stop, but might be forced to this week as I am having terrible problems with my teeth and need stronger painkillers so may have to stop because of that and plus I think I have done my bit now!!!I do really enjoy that time feeding Scarlett though as it is just me and her together - quiet time.

noababynoababy
Noa stopped last week and has gone about 5 days without bf-but yesterday decided she wanted the booby back-heehee

LadybugLadybug
bedhead -
just go with your baby. Let her drop the feeds as she chooses - don't 'force' more feeds because of stats to do with milk and how much they should take. (A lot of these stats are to do with formula anyway) Try offering her cow's milk in a beaker for a bit. That means she'll get used to it quicker. My LO started to drop feeds around that time and I stressed out and restablished it. She didn't take much but she got really used the snuggle factor and then it was really difficult to properly wean her (I am still woken thro the night - she is 15 months). She also doesn't like cows milk too much - she'll give it a go, but I reckon she'd be taking more right now had I started that earlier.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews