Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

caesarean section... again??

karmasmummykarmasmummy
posted 6 years 9 months ago
hi,this is my first post here and im really not sure what to expect. Please dont judge me negatively for this post.
I had my first baby at the age of 18 in 2009, a beautiful, healthy baby girl who was delivered by caesarean section.
All throughout my first pregnancy i suffered terribly with anxiety about labour. From the moment I found out I was pregnant i couldnt sleep, I couldnt eat, I basically couldnt function at all due to my crippling phobia of giving birth. After finding out I had excess fluid around my baby, and being told my baby was big (the nurses words were "you'll never push that out") the fears came to a head and I spoke to my consultant who reluctantly agreed to a caesarean.
Now being 21 and pregnant for the second time (11 weeks), my fears have absolutely taken over my life.
What im wondering is, is there any way i can opt for an elective c-section this time round? im told my baby is healthy, a good size, no disabilities etc.
If i would be eligible for another section, how would i go about asking for one? would i have to go private?
i'm absolutely not taking the 'too posh to push' angle on this. i would love to be able to deliver my baby naturally but i know for a fact it would destroy me emotionally throughout the pregnancy. Please help

GTTkelGTTkel
I really can't say where you stand on 'elective c-sec' on the NHS. However I can asure you that many women feel absolutely terrified about the prospect of giving birth. I know in your mind it is clearly a huge issue, but the body was made to do this and YES IT'S PAINFUL but you could have an epidural which would basically stop you from feeling the pain, plus you would have a quicker recovery time afterwards. For me personally I am totally the opposite to you. I would be absolutely terrified of a C-sec and all the feelings you say you have about a Virginal birth would be exactly the way I'd feel about the surgical alternative.
I have given birth 3 times, my first baby with just Gas and Air; and the second and third with no relief what-so-ever. You could opt for the drugs to ease the pain. You may find that if you give birth naturally you will feel proud of yourself and realise that it can be a wonderful thing. I suggest you talk to your midwife and maybe your GP for advice.

karmasmummykarmasmummy
thankyou for your advice, i think i may look into counselling to help with my anxiety.
Its not so much the pain i'm worried about, I think every mum to be has seen and heard horror stories about labour,the harm it can do your baby, and the effects of pain relief on the new baby, and i cant seem to get them out of my mind.
I also have medical allergies, and am petrified that if the doctors/midwives have to intervene (during natural labour) that i may suffer severe reactions to the medication.
I admire and respect you so so much for being able to get through it with minimal pain relief, and only hope that with the right mindset and support, that i can do it too this time.
Thankyou

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 6 years 8 months ago
Let us know how you get on; and don't be afraid to come back and say you've opted for the Csec. There's always support here even if people have differing views. Good luck,

karmasmummykarmasmummy
thankyou, i'll be sure to keep you up to date Smile

gorguesbabegorguesbabe
hi hun hw r u doing with ur pregnancy i have got a little girl who was born by emergency cs she is going to be 2 in jan 2012 i am pregnant with my second baby i have been advised to have elective cs i am booked on the 18th october 2011 i hope everything goes Thumbs Up well

karmasmummykarmasmummy
Everything is going well thank you. sickness and nausea has finally taken a back seat and im starting to enjoy my pregnancy Smile
Congratulations on baby number two! Hope all goes well with your c-section, keep us all updated!
Would you happen to know if I can have an elective section, even though myself and my baby are healthy, with no complications?
I've heard that I am entitled to a second one if I ask, but im not sure how up to date this information is.

DoulaForYouDoulaForYou
posted 6 years 6 months ago
Hi there

Hope you dont mind me writing, but after reading the initial post I really felt like I wanted to reply.

Being scared of labour is an increasing problem, and is nothing to be ashamed of.

Sometimes knowledge is power, and by looking into what it is about birth that worries you, and what ways you could manage the situation to feel more in control and less fearful, hopefully the fear will subside.

I am a Birth and Postnatal Doula, and my role is to support women emotionally and physically through birth and the first few months of motherhood. You might find someone like a Doula useful in your childbirth, just to give you that little bit more encouragement and support.

I'm glad you are starting to enjoy your pregnancy, and hope it all goes well for you Smile
Lanna
x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews