Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Parents of multiple young children, your help is needed!

sian1989sian1989
posted 7 years 11 months ago
Hi,

Just a quick introduction, my name is Sian and I am a final year design student at Loughborough University. A large part of the final year consists of a major design project. The idea for my design is based around stairgates and this is where your help is required.

My initial thoughts, after observing a family friend with 3 children under 3 years, is that a stairgate is very fiddly when you've got your hands ful, whether that be with children, washing, bags etc. One that requires no hands to open would be very helpful in this situation. At the moment, the design is in very early stages and I need to gain a little bit of an insight into users needs.

Is this something that you feel would be helpful?

Do you find that you have to make more trips up and down the stairs as you cannot operate the stair gate without leaving a hand free?

Would it be something that you would pay for?

What is important to you when choosing a stairgate?

Is there anything would change about your current stairgate?

I would appreciate as much help and input as possible, any comments are helpful!

Many thanks in advance,

Sian

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 7 years 11 months ago
I do agree it can be a pain when you have your hands full and need to open the gate. I would be just as likely to buy one that opens with your feet IF it were actually as safe as the conventional kind. By that I mean that a gate should not be easy for young children to open. If it's simply a case of them tapping their foot on it it will not be safe as the children would open it themselves and then be in danger of falling down stairs or entering a room which they should not be in. I have three children aged 1,4 and 7; and my 4 and 7 year olds can open the gates which is no problem as they are safe to get about on their own BUT between the ages of 1-2 years children become quite nifty and would try to open safety gates, obviously it would be very dangerous if a gate was easy for them to open so you would need to impliment some kind of device which an adult could work but not a small child and I wonder if this would then lead to the same conventions as the ones on the market now.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews