Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Told gender at 12 week scan

KarenMKarenM
posted 7 years 5 months ago
I had my 12 week scan last week and my hubby asked if you could tell what it was. The sonographer had a look and said 65% boy. This surprised me as I didn't think you could find out this early so I came home and did some research on the internet and found the "nub theory". Without mentioning this to hubby I asked him if he thought a certain bit was vertical or horizontal to which I got a resounding horizontal. This contradicts what we were told and looking closely at my scan picture I can see 3 lines - although one is slightly longer than the other - which also seems to indicate girl altho' am not 100% sure if I am looking in the right place. My "gut" feeling is girl and my "gut" was right with my little boy. I just think 65% isn't a big enough percentage and I don't want to get excited about another little boy in case it's wrong. Just wondered if anyone else had been given the wrong gender so early on? Confused

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 7 years 5 months ago
I'm surprised she told you if she was only 65% sure! They normally want to be pretty certain before indicating and as it was just 12 weeks probably should have waited to give you a clearer answer at your later scan. I was told with my middle child at the 12 week scan that we were having a boy and this was right, but with my first child I had to have several scans and at 15 weeks I was told it was a boy only to go back at 20 weeks and have someone else tell me that was wrong and I was having a girl and yes I had already been out and bought clothes!! I would say don't rely totally on it at this point, wait until your next scan.

candgsmumcandgsmum
posted 7 years 4 months ago
I think it possible to know, I'm sure I know of someone who found out at their 12 week. I would just hang on until your 20 week when they can be more certain x

shortie2shortie2
Up here the forth valley nhs (central scotland) wont tell you what your having wither or no you ask. I believe its because they've got it wrong so many times.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Yeah i personally would just pretend you haven't heard and start again at your 20wk scan. They weren't sure so there is no point taking it as red that it is a boy! Hopefully things will be clearer at the next scan for you Xx

bunnigirlbunnigirl
i he always been told u cant tell untill at least 17 weeks LOL but they wont tell u before 20 here x

ceciliab01ceciliab01
posted 7 years 3 months ago
I wouldn't rely too heavily on that assessment at such an early stage.

mom101mom101
posted 6 years 6 months ago
I believe the earliest time possible to determine the gender is 16 weeks.

jeajea
posted 6 years 6 months ago
- My blog
Hi all

I live in Yorkshire and dont want to know when I go for my scan in 2 weeks. I just want to know that everything is ok. Will they automatically tell us or ask if we want to know the sex of the baby? Personally, I don't want to know so I don't want them to blurt it out! I like surprises, and my husband is happy to go along with that. I have no idea what to expect this time around, so much has changed. Thanks all.

sugarsugar Moderator
posted 6 years 5 months ago
hi - u'll only be told ur babies gender if u ask and if the mother wants to know. they will not tell you otherwise and some areas refuse to give genders for many reasons x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews