Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

ATTENTION SEEKING BOY!

thefamousnomthefamousnom
posted 8 years 7 months ago
hello people

our 11 month old son has always craved attention, and recently we were managing to get him to be more independent, sitting on his own while we would make dinner, etc

lately, he got quite ill, and was of course the centre of much attention... which he seems to be reluctant to let go. he is ok now though

he will literally scream until he is sick to be lifted up, and i was wondering if anyone had any tips to help us and him overcome this?

thanks

SamuelSamuel
Why do you want to deny your son attention, especially when he is far too young to be left alone.

thefamousnomthefamousnom
^ is this for real? this is the best that parents can offer parents? Samuel, back off... who do you think you are, 'deny my son attention'... most offensive!

i DONT want to deny my son any attention, but there may, by way of some freak occurence, arise the situation where i might need to visit the toilet once or twice a day. he is nearly a year old now, i would (given the experience of my older son) expect to be able to do this, as he is secure in his chair, playing with toys, happy as long as i am directly interacting with him and nothing else.

also, when we are eating dinner (for 10 mins max) HE IS NOT ON HIS OWN. we are all sitting together, but if he is not lifted up, he screams until he is sick. no amount of verbal attention during this time will placate him.

AlexAlex Moderator
You may not like my answer but I would say ignore the behaviour you don't want even if he is screaming the house down (if he doesn't get a reaction he will learn not to do it). If he makes himself sick don't make a fuss over it, just quietly clean it up. Try building up the time you leave him on his own, if he is playing go to the next room and talk to to him- tell him what you are doing and then come back in quite quickly (and build it up from there) When he is playing nicely on his own tell him how clever he is.

He may be suffering from some seperation anxiety with him having been poorly latley and being the centre of attention and that is something that will only break with time.

SamsmummySamsmummy
I can understand your frustration, my son was the same even if you were cooking he would want to be lifted up to be part of what you were doing, which for obvious reasons isn't always possible. I agree with the other comment about ignoring it. If I give into my Son- even once - over something he takes it from then on I will give in all the time, causing more problems. its not easy stick in there!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews