Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Returning to work- does anyone know...?

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 8 years 1 day ago
I return to work in January, initially doing 4 hrs per day and 4 days a week although my contracted hours when I started 4 years ago were 6.5 hrs 5 days a week. I am to be reviewed at the end of each month to see if I can increase my hours as I wanted to start small and work my way back up so Jess could get used to being with her childminder for longer gradually. However, my childminder informed me that she would be unable to have Jess on a friday. I'm just wondering do I have rights as a parent to a very young child to work only the days that I am able to? There are people working the same hours as me in my department that work the same shift (4 days) but when I was taken on they had extended it to the whole week. Can I contest this?

Lou x

SamuelSamuel
posted 8 years 1 day ago
I don't think you can, there is flexible working hour placement for those with children under 16, you have to give reason to your employer as to why certain hours aren't suitable, if your employer decides that they cannot justify changing your hours, they do have to provide the reason in writing. So, for example, if another persons hours can't be changed to cover friday/it isn't possible to employ a separate person for those hours, they can say no.

I'll get the government website for you.

Gov guidelines for returning to work

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 8 years 8 hours ago
Thanks Samuel Smile

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews