Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Cats in my garden

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 8 years 5 months ago
Since we moved I have had a cat pooing in the flower bed in my front garden and digging up the bulbs I have planted. I don't want to get one of those high pitched cat scarers as they hurt my ears!! Let alone the kids! I know there are natural methods for keeping the cats away but what are they? I have tried sprinkling chilli powder there in the meantime so they hopefully wont like the smell but can any of you recommend a good plant or something I can put there to deter the cats please.

AlexAlex Moderator
You can get a plant from the garden centre called cat scare however if you have a VERY dominant cat that visits your garden it will be hard to get rid of it.

You can buy other things like citrus sticks, black cats with marbel eyes or sometimes just a bottle half filled with water can work.

My sister has the pitch scarer(well 2) and I can say I have never heard them and it doesn't work!

Good luck I now how much my sister hates the cat that visits her garden

jo-jojo-jo
My mum uses citrus peels (they have an orange and lemon tree on their property)she puts them out in the garden beds twice a week and she squeezes the skin so the acid comes out and puts it all around the house (so they dont pee neer the doors in her plants)its natural and doesnt harm the cats,humans or plants.This works at mums place (there arnt many cats about)i have tried it at my place but it didnt work as my neighbour has 9 cats (im still counting)she brings them all in at night but my garden is full of coughed up hair balls and the occasional poop Gag .

orc30orc30
I've heard tiger urine is good!! Whistling

AlexAlex Moderator

orc30 said:
I've heard tiger urine is good!! Whistling

Lion Dung is supposed to work aswell but my sister tried it and had no luck.

milkymummilkymum
Sounds stupid but chicken wire works a treat. I have a cat and I have a planted cat-nip to the area of the garden she is allowed to do her business in and the all my plants are in tubs and and I noticed that some of the other catrs in the area liked messing up my tubs so I filled my tubs with soil and compost and then before planting my plants I covered it with chicken wire and cut out a section big enough for my plant as soon as they jumped on it they became scared and have never been on it again

GTTkelGTTkel
Thanks everyone, I'm gonna get on the case this weekend!

Sony72Sony72
posted 8 years 4 months ago
It is the softness of the earth they are attracted to, can you put a grill or something hard to the touch on top. After a while you can remove it as the cats will have moved on.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews