Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Emotional Blackmail!

goingnutsgoingnuts
posted 8 years 5 months ago
Hi All,

I seperated from my partner a year ago and moved out since then we have been trying to re-build our relashionship. We have a son who is nearly 3 and my parnter has him at least once a week on his own and we also go out at weekend all together and spend one or two nights at either persons house as a family my son is happy with this as if Daddy is not there he is doing paper work visa versa... however lately his dad has been emaoinally blackmailing our son with things like when he has a tantrum and mummy is being firm saying things like. You can do what you want round Daddy's house and only tonight on the phone whispering to him. Do you wish you where with daddy. Do you want to be at Daddy's house all cosy with me. Do you miss Daddy. etc etc you get the picture!. What the bloody hell can I do about this I am sure it goes further than this when he is with his Dad on his own.

samtiffsamtiff
Direct action seems like the only option. I would approach him about it directly and ask him what he is trying to achieve with it as it is not helpful for you or him. If he is seen as a light touch by your son it will be hard for him to discipline him later - when he needs to. If you get to the bottom of it now you might be able to nip it in the bud.
I hope it gets sorted for you.
Hug

goingnutsgoingnuts
yeah I tried doing that and he refuses to acknowledge that what he is doing is wrong! Last night i said why do you say things like that to our son he will only get upset and confused I would never say things like that to him when he is with you. He said I am going now and put the phone down!

samtiffsamtiff
Oh. Well maybe it is a start that he now knows that you have noticed it and the reaction he gave seems to indicate that he is well aware of what he is doing.

Maybe he will think about it a bit and you can see if he stops or maybe next time you bring it up he will be more willing.

Not sure what else to recommend. Anyone else got any ideas?

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews