Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

How Long Before The Milk Dries Up

sonia24sonia24
posted 9 years 2 months ago
I stopped breast feeding after 12 months two weeks ago and I was wondering how long before my milk dries up as I don't want to be tempted into starting again. I have found it all quite distressing but on medication that is unsuitable for breast feeding.

AlexAlex Moderator
I never breast fed so can't give you a definate answer. I think everyone is different, I know a friend of mine was still producing milk 2 years after she stopped (she fed until her little one was 18mths.)

soupsoup
it should take a couple of weeks

congratualtions on getting to 12 months thats amazing Clapping

i think when you stop you should reduce to just night feeding 1st and then cut out the night feeds once your boobs have adjusted

LadybugLadybug
What are you on medication for? Are there no suitable alternatives?

milkymummilkymum
posted 8 years 11 months ago
Sonia24 well done on BFing for 12 months that is amazing. I BFed my ED for 18 months and I never dried up, I got to the point were I was able to go without pads after about 4 months but I then pregnant after 5 months of stopping with my YS. Again I never dried up with him but I think that was because I fell pregnant while he was still BFing.

kristagkristag
posted 8 years 11 months ago
I breastfed for 6 months and dropped as Soup said to one feed a day (I did this gradually) and then when I stopped completely, it took around 7 days to me to be able to not wear breast pads. Having said that, I fed Sophie a couple of weeks ago (she's 9 1/2 months now) and suddenly I was soaking wet down one side!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews