Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Is she ready..?

ellee1984ellee1984
posted 9 years 4 months ago
As alot of you know my daughter will be 3 in August and ive been slowly introducing her to the toilet she getting the hang of it and prefers the toilet over the potty but is still in pull up pants, on the advise of my ex MIL i got izzy some proper panties as she said that usually after they wet themselves a couple of times they got the hang of toilet etc. She put izzy in a pair of these panties last weekend and izzy had an "accident" and when she went to change them ot a clean pair of panties and izzy screamed n screamed and refused to put them on saying they werent her pants and would only put the pull up's back on.

Is she ready for potty training i dont know? Any ideas or advise be really appreciated.

SamuelSamuel
I would say stop the pull ups, they are more absorbent than nappies as they have to cope with more urine, go for a traditional nappy or a disposable nappy, so she has the idea that she is wearing the same pants, but she can feel when she has gone to the loo. If your not in to that you could take her shopping so she can choose some new big girl under wear, then she might be excited about wearing it.

orc30orc30
Used pullups with my little ones, but put pants over the top to start with. This seemed to get them used to the pants before they had the issue of them not catching their mistakes.

candgsmumcandgsmum
I've got George in pull ups for night time as we've got him pretty much trained during the day. I found pull ups no good for day time because he knew they were like nappies and just weed in them instead of being bothered with the potty.

George doesn't overly like underpants so we took him out to choose some (Thomas the tank engine and Cars). He still isn't too keen on them so we trained him without, just trousers.

we have within the last few days started putting pants on and he is slowly getting used to them.

George would ask for a nappy after an accident at first so we tried to encourage him to try again without. We knocked it on the head for a week after a couple of times and then tried again. We've been training George for about 2 weeks now, although he's pretty much got the hang of the potty he's wet himself and pooed his pants today, so there can be little regressions.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
Aaralyn was about that age when she potty trained and we just went for the toilet, with a little potty seat on it and a step stool…. We went and picked out underpants, she picked them out I should say and started putting them on her instead of a pull up. We had a lot of wet underpants that weekend but it was pretty much smooth sailing after that (with a regression that passed quickly)… Sadly, she’s still wearing night time protection because she’s still not waking up with the urge to go pee pee (though she will for a poo)…. I hope we’ll get passed this soon because she gets really embarrassed about it now.

I bet Izzy will shock you and be trained in no time! Good luck hun!

SummerSummer
I think this is the right time. You just have to be a little more patient. I know it's not easy... Sad

ellee1984ellee1984
Thank you for all your response's & idea's

The pants Izzy has was ones she picked out in a way I picked out 2 packs and then she picked out of those 2. I am thinking of taking her out and letting pick another pack all on her own and see if that helps.

Today I put a pair of the pants I have for her over her pull ups and she seemed okay with that so I'll continue doing that for now.

I would put her back onto normal disposable nappy's but she wont stay there for me to change them and with the pull up's it gives her the opportunity to change them herself aswell.

Im not sure if she's ready yet and maybe I should wait a few weeks and try again as the day after I posted this topic Izzy was in the living room with no pull up's on and she wet herself and then said mummy i want toilet. so she hasnt learnt yet when she needs to go and usually asks to go after she done what she needs to do.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
That’s a great sign she’s getting ready to be ready, the fact that she associates toilet and potty is a great thing!!

ElementaryElementary
We used Pampers Feel and Learn because they don't absorb everything so they can still feel if they wet themselves.
Try it and see, if not don't worry!! I can remember trying and then leaving it for a few months and when she was ready it was all fairly effortless

hipmumhipmum
posted 9 years 3 months ago
Perhaps you should just drop the issue for a few weeks and then try again. Sometimes you'll be amazed at what a difference these few weeks makes.

Anyhow, best of luck!

sunrisesunrise
posted 9 years 2 months ago
Patience is the key here. You want your children to see this process as natural as possible (perhaps even fun?).

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews