Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

What's the best..........

WorriedMumWorriedMum
posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hi Guys.
My son is 3, 4 in June and I would like to help him with his letter sounds. He is in Nursery but has had a lot of time off due to having heart surgery twice since September. Anyway he's in now, not quite full time yet but almost. I would like to help him with his letters and reading now that we are finally getting settled. What are your favourite methods? School use Jolly Phonics I believe, I used Letterland with my daughter because that was what was being used at the time.
Thanks for any replies Smile

eamesy88eamesy88
- My blog
Nurseries and other settings round near me use Jolly Phonics, i would stick to what he is using in other places so that learning two different doesnt confuse him

AlexAlex Moderator
Do they teach him them at Nursery?

If they do them in school be very careful as he will bored when he goes to school and may not actually want to learn when he gets there.. Don't puch him to do things if he is not interested. The Nursery will be teaching him the initial sound of his name and being able to recognise his name without pictorial clues. Don't worry if he has missed alot of nursery, he will catch up very quickly with things he has misssed- you would be surprised how quickly they learn at 4. He is only 3 remember and still young, let him play, make friends and be totally settled, happy and healthy at Nursery, that is more important.

I have nursery at the moment and my priorities for the ones going to school in August are:

Having and knowing how to make friends (and interact)
Fine motor skills (scissor control(can they follow a line and cut in a continious motion rather than snip) and do they have a good hold of a pencil)
Being able to draw a representation picture (do their pictures have faces with everything, arms and hands (even if they look like conquers!!) and legs
Can they dress themselves independently
can they look after themselves when they go to the toilet (wipe bottoms, remember to flush, wash hands)
can they listen to simple instructions
can they recognise their names

These skills are far more important than knowing sounds and reading, my kids are mostly 4 and these are what I expect of them before going to school.

If he is showing an interest then use what the school uses. I have taught using Jolly Phonics and I love the scheme, you can get resources in the ELC or amazon and they are not expensive. Ask the Nursery what they suggest.

WorriedMumWorriedMum
Thanks guys. Smile

candgsmumcandgsmum
I have no idea what they used in nursery, but DD is using Fred talk to learn to read in reception Smile

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews