Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

What do you all think to this?

SamuelSamuel
posted 9 years 6 months ago
Lovely now having to explain these to the kids

ellee1984ellee1984
Think it good there nothing to be ashamed about by advertising safe sex and as long as its not on programmes aimed around children under 10 like they say it wont be then i dont see why not. Kids need to learn about these things and thats its acceptable and not something that should be dirty and ashamed/embarassed to go in and buy when you need to use them and if this is the way to do it then i cant see why not look at countries like netherlands one of the lowest rates of teenage pregnancies cos of the open minded view on sex etc over there i think us brits need to stop being so prudish about things that relate to sex.

what i dont agree with is the advertising of abortions which they are talking about doing cos kids may start to think that they can use them as a form of contraception and then the advertising of safe sex may go backwards.

WkdblueWkdblue
I think that as long as they are all advertised responsibly and informatively then there is no problem with them being advertised. As to the abortion thing, I tihnk that it will probably take the form of an information film, rather like the one for STDs that is shown.

Anything that makes young people realise that unprotected sex (when you don't want a baby) is not only stupid but can also be life threatening and makes them think twice about it can only be a good thing.

Am betting though that there will be an outcry from the Catholic church regarding all this, after all if they wouldn't let some schools participate in Comic Relief as some money raised goes towards family planning in 3rd world countries then we have no hope of them sitting quietly and letting these informative adverts be shown! Angry Angry

ElementaryElementary
It doesn't worry me - if Martha asks I have no problems with the thought of answering - but from the article she probably won't see them for a while!!

LucyLucy
i see no problem, we think nothing of seeng adverts for tampons or panty pads, so why not condoms, its nothing to be ashamed of you see them in the supermarket and you can get them with the weekly shop.

I would have thought its more embarrasing to explain what they are in the middle of tescos then in the comfort of your own home.

candgsmumcandgsmum
I've already had to explain as much as possible to my 5 year old when she heard an ad for condoms on the radio.

We were in the car and an ad came on and Charlotte asked what condoms were. I explained they were something that a man used to stop making a baby, it then led to how a baby was made LOL. I just told her babies are made by daddy and mummy having a special hug, sometimes mummy and daddy want a special hug but don't want to make a baby so daddy uses a condom to stop making one. She seemed happy enough with that explanation fortunately LOL!!

LucyLucy

candgsmum said:
I've already had to explain as much as possible to my 5 year old when she heard an ad for condoms on the radio.

We were in the car and an ad came on and Charlotte asked what condoms were. I explained they were something that a man used to stop making a baby, it then led to how a baby was made LOL. I just told her babies are made by daddy and mummy having a special hug, sometimes mummy and daddy want a special hug but don't want to make a baby so daddy uses a condom to stop making one. She seemed happy enough with that explanation fortunately LOL!!

that sounds like a perfect way to tell a child well done

kristagkristag
I think condom advertising is fine. Yes I'm waiting for the questions from Jas - she's already seen the advert about sexually transmitted diseases which I had to explain a bit, to which she went 'yuck'.

I'm not sure about the abortion advertising though. How on earth will they tackle that with care? Let's hope they manage it. I really don't want that to appear on prime-time telly but as Sky have completely different rules to those of ITV, they may well appear anywhere unfortunately and not after the watershed.

I've aleady had to explain what a paedophile is to Jas after that furore over Gary Glitter so I'm pretty prepared for anything!

WkdblueWkdblue
For one thing I think we should stop calling it "abortion advertising" as that makes it appear as if they'll be advertising BoGOFs in your local Supermarket.

As I said earlier, I think that if they do get the go ahead for these 'ads' they will be in the form of infomercials, where they give you information but don't advertise a product IYSWIM.

I've already had to explain how 'Peanut' got into my tummy to George who just looked, shrugged and wandered off, have also had to explain why babies "eat their mummies boobies" to which his replay was ewwww. If he asks then both Ronnie and I will try and answer as honestly as possible and as suitable ot his age at the time.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews