Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Eczema.....

candgsmumcandgsmum
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
George is 9 months old and has got eczema, he has had it since he was born. He has some steroid cream but tbh I don't like using it for the obvious reason it has steroid in it, I just wondered if anyone knew of an alternative especially as it is coming up to summer and the warm weather is causing it to appear worse with him getting sweatier.

I've been advised by my hv to go see my GP to get something to add to his bath but does it work???

casey27casey27
have you thought of trying your local health food shop to see if you can get hold of an aloe vera based cream. they are usually very mild and can be very effective on dry or itchy skin. the assistants should be able to help you find one suitable for a baby. its definately worth giving it a go and definately a better option to avoid steroid based creams. hope this helps, good luck x

alis378alis378
One of the little girls I look after has eczema, especially round her face and her wrists ... poor little mite. Am not sure what cream it is her parent uses, I dont think its a steroid as they dont like using them. I've sometimes put sudocrem on if parents have forgotten her little tub. I'm sure there must be heatlh alternative.

Have you tried an emollient in your little ones bath. That can help to moisturise the sking.
x

hipmommahipmomma
Josh had it for a while, although luckily it seems to have passed as he has got older. I remember that baths with nothing in seemed to make it worse. There is definately stuff you can get to put in the bath to stop their skin drying out. def go to your gp!

gemmagemma
we had the oilatum (turns the water whiteish) but to be honest when i stopped using that and started using avon mild and gentle bubble bath it improved Suspect

best of luck i know the warn weather used to make it worse in all thier joints

alis378alis378
The little girl I look after came back to me today and her hands, face and feet have flared up again.

She also has asthma so we are now just waiting to see if she develops hayfever - why do these things go hand in hand, its so tough for her the poor litte mite.

I can see it is going to be a hard summer with her Sad Face

bunnigirlbunnigirl
i would go and see ur doc hunni
my friends little boy has this bad and she has been given a no steriod cream which u can use to rub in to help the itching but u can also use it as a soap to wash u babe in
i cant remember what its called i will ring her in the morn and ask her for u
xxxx

candgsmumcandgsmum
Thanks loads! I'm going to take him to the GP as it's really flared up on his neck and back.

I use sudacreme but it only seems to stop the irritation for a short while.

I'm hoping it's something he is going to grow out of but we'll just have to wait and see.

candgsmumcandgsmum

alis378 said:
The little girl I look after came back to me today and her hands, face and feet have flared up again.

She also has asthma so we are now just waiting to see if she develops hayfever - why do these things go hand in hand, its so tough for her the poor litte mite.

I can see it is going to be a hard summer with her Sad Face

Poor little mite Sad Face Hope she doesn't have hayfever too. My DH has hayfever and has done since he was little, he also had asthma when he was young but he grew out of it, hopefully she will too.

TamTam
I got a natural, oil based cream from www.purepotions.co.uk and it has really helped Nate skin and my psorosis, which has totally cleared on my ears and neck! It was made by a lady who was like us so frustrated at not being able to get a cream without steriods for her daughter so she made her own.

Also try cutting out SLS, as they are know to cause skin conditions to worsen. SLS's is in soooo many bath, skin, tooth and hair care products is scary, try using Halo's and horn, its a vailable in tesco's, asda and sainsbury. they even do a tooth paste aswell!

KeeleysMumKeeleysMum
I was born covered head to toe in exzema. So the first thing i looked for when Keeley was born was the condition of her skin. So far there are no signs of it. I know between my mum, dad and the doctors, they tried everything on me, and although ive grown out of the most of it, i still suffer from really dry skin and the crease of my arms and the back of my kness do get irratable. Any aloe based creams are amazing, aqueous cream is another good one, it can be used as a soap in the bath , a moisturiser or both. I still use steroid creams on my skin when i have to but i wont do that until all else fails as in time it thins the skin. Get your littlun to drink as much as possible (hydrates the skin) and slap on the moisturiser every few hours in the warmer weather. In my honest oppinion...dont use any bubbles or ointments in the bath. Just water. Or enquire to your doctor about a bath product called AVEENO OIL. thats the only thing i will use in my bath. Good luck and i really hope your tiger copes this summer. I know how it feels. xxx sarah xxx

AlexAlex Moderator
I had diprobase for Joseph. the ointment for putting on before he had a bath and cream for all other times. Now I use bodyshop hemp cream Very happy

noababynoababy
Take a look at the annabel karmel website and do as search for excema. There were a number of long and good threads there about this topic.

www.annabelkarmel.com

mitchmitch
hemp i brlliant cream x

candgsmumcandgsmum
Well the dr just told me to keep using the steroid cream and prescribed a barrier cream to use daily, I asked about trying a cream without steroid but got told it was too severe at the moment. I've been onto pure potions as Tam advised and ordered some oil based cream to try as he's suffering really badly with his eczema and he can scratch his neck until it bleeds!! It's everywhere at the moment poor little man Sad Face I'm just going to make sure his skin is moisturised, I'm using infaderm baby oil thats suitable for babies with eczema at the moment and although its not clearing it, its not getting worse or irritating it more.

TamTam

candgsmum said:
Well the dr just told me to keep using the steroid cream and prescribed a barrier cream to use daily, I asked about trying a cream without steroid but got told it was too severe at the moment. I've been onto pure potions as Tam advised and ordered some oil based cream to try as he's suffering really badly with his eczema and he can scratch his neck until it bleeds!! It's everywhere at the moment poor little man Sad Face I'm just going to make sure his skin is moisturised, I'm using infaderm baby oil thats suitable for babies with eczema at the moment and although its not clearing it, its not getting worse or irritating it more.

Oh babe, Poor little mite please give George big hugs from me Kiss , I really think the pure potions cream will help. Good Luck sweetie x x x x x Very happy

chezchez
eczema and i tried lots of diffrent creams of docs but none worked untill finally i got one called doublebase its fab workes really well on my baby my sister also had it bad and couldnt find much that worked i told her about doublebase and it works really well on her to Very happy

candgsmumcandgsmum
Well I've been using the oil based cream for a week and it has worked wonders!!! His skin is so soft, I've never seen it so good, it's still a little patchy here and there but it doesn't seem to be irritating him at all. Thanks for all the good advice!!!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews