Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

television

claireclaire
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
hello, this is my first topic starter so hopefully i will do it ok!

Im a student and im studying media studies for A- Level. Im doin a project entitled " Children are able to distinguish clearly between real and fictional violence in TV and Film"

My reason for posting on what looks like a very helpful forum!..is to see what parents think about the amount of violence shown in programmes.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

sliceslice
Hi there, My son Josh has concentration and behavioral issues and I have to say I have noticed that he has picked up alot from the telly, and I dont like it all. He is five so the programmes that he is now interested in and wants to join his friends playing are power rangers and teenage mutant ninja turtles,He watched one of these and I turned t over to his disgust,they have both incouraged him to fight and now I have to be really vigulant on what he watches. hope this helps xx kel

hipmommahipmomma
My son is just moving from toddler tv (stuff on very early and cbeebies/citv daytime) to little boy stuff, and i have noticed a difference in his behaviour. He loves things like oban skyracer(?) and turtles, transformers.

I know its a natural progression that you cant avoid, but if im honest id rather he wasnt watching it!

v_preciousv_precious
Difficult one this.

With my son (who is 10 now) I avoided all things violent and was (and still am to a degree)pretty vigilant with what violence I allowed him to watch. I did not allow guns or swords in the house. To my dismay at 3 years old he picked up a stick shaped a little like a gun and started 'shooting'. After that sticks became weaponry of all types from swords to catapults to bows.

I think small children have difficulty understanding that what is on TV is not real PARTICULARLY if it is not in animated form. After all there is so much violence shown on the 6 O Clock news how can you tell between that and Power Rangers?

It was very difficult explaining 9:11 to a 5 year old, he was very frightened the 'baddies' were going to fly a plane into our house.

It is even harder for those children with either a very active imagination or for those with difficulties i.e. an ASD. Confused

boosmummyboosmummy
Our eldest is 3 in July and from birth we've been pretty strict about what he's allowed to watch on tv. He's restricted to cbeebies, dvds that are child friendly like Cars, Madagascar, Shrek, Wallace & Gromit. We don't watch any adult tv unless its Formula 1 while our boys are up we wait until after 7pm when they go to bed.

My nephews range from 4-10yrs and my brother is equally as strict with their viewing, they're also not allowed toy guns or play violent computer games.

I don't know if there is a proven risk between watching violence and acting it out but for us we want our boys to stay as innocent and enjoy childhood for as long as they can. We have to grow up too fast so let them enjoy it. I grew up around guns and weapons of war thanks to being an Army brat, it didn't hurt me but then i knew the difference from very early on between real and fiction as we were living it.

TamTam
I have 2 little cousins that have watched horror movies and all sort of TV from a young age and they have turned out just fine they are now 20 and 14. They are completly de-sensitised to Violence though which scares me a little, they can watch anything and not feel sick, iw atched the new versiion of the hills have eyes and was nearly sick but that wouldnt have bothered them at all. Maybe its because they know it isnt real?? and i think about what if that really happend??

I personally wouldnt let Nate watch anything unsuitable as I wouldnt want him to grow up being de-sensitised to TV.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews