Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

problems with adhd

posted 1 decade 5 years ago
im having problems with my son at the momment as i said before im so scared to take him to the doctors because of his behavour they may just say i carnt cope.

posted 1 decade 5 years ago
i would still take him if you are concerned

posted 1 decade 5 years ago
Hi there,Im Kelly, ive not been on for a while but have just returned and caught your post. My son also has ADHD and sensory prosessing disorder (look this up if you have not already as it may help they run close hand in hand).I was also in the same boat as yourself and didnt know in the begining if the doctor was the right thing to do for my son showing challanging behaviour but honestly it was the best thing i could of done.Im not saying that they will understand everything about the disorder cause most dont but ask for a referal for support, its not about coping with the behaviour cause it drives us all to distraction but its more about managing it so that you can take back a bit of controle, I hope i have not covered same old ground if you have heard all this before but please dont hesitate to see your doctor and also i will also have an open ear for you to chat to as i really know what you must be feeling. xx Kel

posted 1 decade 5 years ago
Parenting the child with ADD/ADHD is hard work.....I know I have a son with ADHD, my hubby has ADHD too and I have ADD!!!

Don't be afraid to reach out and get the help that you (and your son) need. Perhaps a visit to a behavioral psychologist who specializes in the area of ADD/ADHD may be a better option than a doctor.

posted 1 decade 5 years ago
Hi, I have a 5 year old son who has is Autistic and ADHD.
I was concerned about his behaviour but was too scared that people may just say that i could not cope with him. He was diagnosed in March 2006 when he was 3 years and 7 months which is quite early to diagnose Autism. I still find myself struggling with him now and have almost begged Social Services for some help with him , but i was told that because I was not, not coping and just struggling there is nothing they can do to help me!!!! Which really is unbelievable. However there is groups out there that are full of parents that had the same feelings as me, which i found really helpful and useful. I would definatly share your concerns with your GP. Smile

posted 1 decade 4 years ago
I'm new here so I'm going through some of the resent posts and I couldn't help but post some hugs to you and to say that I am in the long awaited process of getting a full diagnose of ADD for my ED. I have had problems with challenging behavioure since she was about 12-13 months and until January this year I had been asking for help from my GP and he always said it's nothing it's normal behaviour she is just a bright and very intelligent little girl. Well I ended up speaking to my ped that she is under for something different and he decided that she was somewhere on the mild-moderate ADD spectrum and put us in contact with a behaviour management specialist and would give her a full assessment in October. We have also been told by the behaviour managent specialist to give her a very strict diet and see if that helps any.

Anyway I would go and speak to you doctor and take a record of all the behaviour you are having to deal with as this will help them too

posted 1 decade 3 years ago
I know how it feels to be in the same situation as you. You must have to try to bring your son to a specialist. It won't help if you keep being scared and avoid to seek help.

My son has also an adhd and i felt the same way as yours at first but at this point i n time you need to have him checked. My son now is 15 years old and he is doing well in class with the help of a therapeutic boarding school. Teens diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) can benefit from ADHD schools such as residential boarding schools, wilderness treatment, or therapeutic boarding schools which are designed to specifically address their condition.

posted 8 years 5 months ago
Well I have worked with youth with social disorders for some time now, and am also a parent myself, and I would have to say that the number one thing to realize is that there IS HELP out there, and you just need to find it. The best part is that it is mostly fee and easy to find, because these problems are things that people deal with on a daily basis on many levels and are always ready to have an open dialogue about it.

posted 8 years 5 months ago
The best thing you can do for your child is take them to the doctor's. I can understand that you may be afraid of what the doctor will say but it probably won't be that you can't handle being a parent. Sometimes we need help and you will be surprised at the help they can give you. I went to see my daughter's pediatrician because she her behavior was out of control and she was saying things like she wished she was dead. Pretty scary when it coming from a seven year old. Her doctor recommended a psychologist and a psychiatrist and she has been receiving treatment for three years now. She has ADD, ODD, generalized anxiety disorder, and moderate clinical depression and she is taking medication for all except ODD as there is no pill for that just behavior modification therapy. She has gotten through so much and is doing so much better than she was. Of course, nothing is curable with her but it is manageable and that is what we are doing. I hope things are better and that you have gotten the help your child needs.

Join JustParents for free to reply


Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews