Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Nuchal didn't go to plan - anyone else?

janenchrisjanenchris
posted 8 years 10 months ago
So I had my nuchal scan today. Didn't go quite as planned. The little one seemed to be asleep in the wrong position for measuring at first and then once I was sent for a walk down the corridor, he woke up and leapt around so much they still couldn't do it Rolling Eyes . I am being sent for the triple test instead. Was feeling a little down about it after although I'm not sure why. Triple test is ok I'm sure.
Anyone else been here??


kristagkristag
posted 8 years 10 months ago
Sorry to hear that hun. With Sophie, she was asleep in the wrong position for Nuchal too but they told me to just kind of roll side to side to wake her up, which it did. Like you, she then was moving around all over the place and although it took quite a long time, they did get all the measurements.

Hope the triple test goes well for you. Not been through that myself.

candgsmumcandgsmum
posted 8 years 10 months ago
I've never had a nuchal as far as I know and I wasn't offered the triple test in my first pregnancy, and in my second, refused it LOL!

On my 20 weeks scan with my first, I had to go back a week later because she was laid in a position so that they couldn't see a part of her spine Rolling Eyes

AlexAlex Moderator
posted 8 years 10 months ago

candgsmum said:
I've never had a nuchal as far as I know


Is it not just the dating scan? Confused I thought it was.

janenchrisjanenchris
posted 8 years 10 months ago
The nuchal scan tests for downs syndrome by measuring the thickness of the back of the babies neck. Before 1/1/09 they cost around £100 to have done privately, but from this year they are offered to every expecting mum on the NHS. Smile

AlexAlex Moderator
posted 8 years 10 months ago

janenchris said:
The nuchal scan tests for downs syndrome by measuring the thickness of the back of the babies neck. Before 1/1/09 they cost around £100 to have done privately, but from this year they are offered to every expecting mum on the NHS. Smile


aahhh. The fact it cost when I was pregnant means I never knew about it!!

I never had my triple test (we had downs in my family) but I refused it.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
posted 8 years 10 months ago
I was offered a triple test with mine too but i also refused it. Personally i didn't think it was relevant to me as i knew if the test came back with a high posibility of chromosone disorder i would have spent the remainder of the pregnancy stressing about it but i wouldn't have had a termination whatever. I personally felt that i would deal with it if and when it happened and therefor for me it would have been a pointless test? However, i completely understand some people wanting it, and it even being able to put minds at ease, which can only be a good thing Thumbs Up

Are you sure a nuchal is available for all women on the NHS hun? Is it not an area thing, like so many other things? Only i have pregnant friends doen here in the south west at the moment and they haven't been offered nuchal scans as our area use the blood test instead?

victoria81victoria81
posted 8 years 10 months ago
My kid was in the wrong position and I had envisaged a home birth. However, after a week of crying and hysterics on my part, I looked at my options carefully.

Caesarean section was my worst nightmare but then, my husband was ace and he comforted me all the way. He made me feel loved and wanted. By the time it happened, we had had the chance to make an alternative birth plan etc. It turned out pretty amazing and involved (okay, I'll confess he insisted I go private) but it was cool! I had pain, of course, a lot! but what I'm trying to say is that you're in control no matter what!

The birth of my child was awesome! (my first child) and I even demanded at the last minute that they pull the curtain off. I wanted to see what Dan (my husband) was seeing and then little James was cleaned and sucked and weight and changed and he cuddled him first but passed him onto me as I was being "mended" and we began the journey...

kristagkristag
posted 8 years 10 months ago

Alex said:

janenchris said:
The nuchal scan tests for downs syndrome by measuring the thickness of the back of the babies neck. Before 1/1/09 they cost around £100 to have done privately, but from this year they are offered to every expecting mum on the NHS. Smile


aahhh. The fact it cost when I was pregnant means I never knew about it!!

I never had my triple test (we had downs in my family) but I refused it.


I'm confused hun. I was even offered this free of charge on the NHS over 10 years ago when I was pregnant with Jas so it's not a new thing for every woman to be offered it I'm sure.

I have lived in different areas in the South and every person I know who has been pregnant has been offered this scan.

Do you live somewhere slightly remote where maybe they don't offer it for some reason? I thought it was standard practice.

Having said all that, I was told the results given by the hospital scans were far less accurate than the private clinics that specialise in this kind of thing so I went private Thumbs Up

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
posted 8 years 10 months ago

kristag said:

Alex said:

janenchris said:
The nuchal scan tests for downs syndrome by measuring the thickness of the back of the babies neck. Before 1/1/09 they cost around £100 to have done privately, but from this year they are offered to every expecting mum on the NHS. Smile


aahhh. The fact it cost when I was pregnant means I never knew about it!!

I never had my triple test (we had downs in my family) but I refused it.


I'm confused hun. I was even offered this free of charge on the NHS over 10 years ago when I was pregnant with Jas so it's not a new thing for every woman to be offered it I'm sure.

I have lived in different areas in the South and every person I know who has been pregnant has been offered this scan.

Do you live somewhere slightly remote where maybe they don't offer it for some reason? I thought it was standard practice.

Having said all that, I was told the results given by the hospital scans were far less accurate than the private clinics that specialise in this kind of thing so I went private Thumbs Up


I am pretty sure it is (or at least was) an area thing hun. I think some tend to use blood tests, some nuchal scans and others do both! I don't live anywhere remote (just outside Barnstaple) although it is a smallish village, but on a main road and use the main hospital (NDDH) in Barnstaple. We definitely don't do the scan in this part. Jake is only 1 and i wasn't offered it and my friend had her baby wed and she wasn't offered it. I also have a friend having twins who had a scan Jan (growth) and she wasn't offered it. Nobody i know has been offered it nearby here for sure and none of the pregnant mums at preschool or mother and baby have mentioned a change and that they are now offering it locally? I wish they would just stick to one rule for all really. It can get so confusing! Xx

kristagkristag
posted 8 years 10 months ago

mum2popsnjak said:

kristag said:

Alex said:

janenchris said:
The nuchal scan tests for downs syndrome by measuring the thickness of the back of the babies neck. Before 1/1/09 they cost around £100 to have done privately, but from this year they are offered to every expecting mum on the NHS. Smile


aahhh. The fact it cost when I was pregnant means I never knew about it!!

I never had my triple test (we had downs in my family) but I refused it.


I'm confused hun. I was even offered this free of charge on the NHS over 10 years ago when I was pregnant with Jas so it's not a new thing for every woman to be offered it I'm sure.

I have lived in different areas in the South and every person I know who has been pregnant has been offered this scan.

Do you live somewhere slightly remote where maybe they don't offer it for some reason? I thought it was standard practice.

Having said all that, I was told the results given by the hospital scans were far less accurate than the private clinics that specialise in this kind of thing so I went private Thumbs Up


I am pretty sure it is (or at least was) an area thing hun. I think some tend to use blood tests, some nuchal scans and others do both! I don't live anywhere remote (just outside Barnstaple) although it is a smallish village, but on a main road and use the main hospital (NDDH) in Barnstaple. We definitely don't do the scan in this part. Jake is only 1 and i wasn't offered it and my friend had her baby wed and she wasn't offered it. I also have a friend having twins who had a scan Jan (growth) and she wasn't offered it. Nobody i know has been offered it nearby here for sure and none of the pregnant mums at preschool or mother and baby have mentioned a change and that they are now offering it locally? I wish they would just stick to one rule for all really. It can get so confusing! Xx


I agree. Be nice if everything worked country wide! Thumbs Up

Just outside Barnstable are you - my sister lives at Shirwell!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search forums

Latest Reviews