Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Has anyone ever requested holiday during term time??

candgsmumcandgsmum
posted 9 years 4 months ago
We decided to go ahead with the holiday we booked (we need some time to relax LOL), so I asked for a holiday request form and filled it all out, but now I'm really worried they won't allow Charlotte the time off.

The form mentioned that they wouldn't allow reception children holiday off due to the transition into full-time school...Charlotte's had a week off already due to illness rather than holiday but I'm worried that will count against her Sad Charlotte has had no problems settling into school and i know other children have had holidays in her class (whether they were authorised, I never asked)!

Has anyone ever been told it's OK or been told no way??

SamuelSamuel
As a teacher, I absolutely hate it when a student misses school for around a week or more for any reason as when they come back the other students lose out as they have to weight for the missing one to catch up.

SamuelSamuel
Also, if they do deny you, she can still go, but the school would put it down to an unexplained no show some school authorities can fine you do and give you a telling off by the police due to not sending your children to school, which we nearly got for moving house when Mikey wasn't registered at a school at all for a month, even though he started school the January before he had to, but obviously nonsense is what the British government love.

GTTkelGTTkel
The thing is that if Charlotte is in reception she doesn't actually legally have to be at school yet!! Year 1 (the september after they turn 5) is when the law says your children have to go to school so I don't really see they can stop you as you have the option of a reception aged child to still be in pre-school or at home!!

I think a request form is just courtesy on your part.

gypseygypsey
ive had np problem mine had hol end sept last yr talia had just started reception hols are so expensive in holidays....

gets me wen my eldest is goin spain in school time but with school ? Confused

ElementaryElementary
My Mum's a teacher so we never had time off school for holidays - it's just habit now to book any time away during school holidays and places are slowly catching on and not charging so much more during school holidays - not many though Confused

kristagkristag
I've done it this year with Jas as we couldn't go away in her half term end of May and Mike has a leave embargo from June - October Sad

It was the first and is likely to be the only time we need to take Jas out of school. We cleared it with the school first and they were fine. She has an excellent attendance record though and the only other time she was off school was for 3 days last year when she dislocated her elbow and was in plaster.

She is way up in her class and we have also offered to take work away with us so she can do a bit every day. In fact, although they didn't ask us to do that, we may get her to do a little scrapbook 'project' while she's off about where we stayed and things around there where she can collect information/postcards etc and show the school. They always encourage the kids to tell everyone about their holidays at the front of class when they come back so it might be a nice thing for her.

I think it varies on the school but I would *always* ask first and to be honest, I wouldn't take unauthorised leave for the very reasons Samuel said Shocked

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews