Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Interested to know...

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
In your experience is it true what they say that after your first baby each subsequent baby is heavier at birth? Generally they say boys are heavier than girls and each one will be bigger than the last, but is this true? Was it true with your babies?

My first, a girl, weighed 6lb 15oz
My second, a boy, weighed 8lb
Both were exactly the same gestation, 40 weeks and 3 days.
So in my case both statements have been true. I am now more curious to know with baby number 3 on the way, will it be bigger again? Will the sex of the baby affect the weight?

AlexAlex Moderator
From any friends and family I know with 3 kids they have been
1st the lightest
2nd the heaviest
3rd somewhere in the middle.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
well in my experience i was the complete opposite hun. Both of mine were exact gestation too. 40+3days. Lauren, 1st born (obviously a girl) was 8lb 8.5oz and Jake, (boy, LOL) 7lb 10oz? I think as a general rule i would say that boys are heavier than girls and 2nd babies tend to be slightly bigger though. I just have to be different!! LOL Xx

WelshMumWelshMum
James (1st) was 40+3 and he weighed 7lb 6oz and Gem was 40 bang on and weighed 7lb 11oz.

I'm worried about this one tho as Jeremy was apparently 11lbs odd! Hope that doesn't happen to me Crying

I was 5lb 10oz at 39+2, my sister was 7lb 4oz at 41+3 and my brother was 10lb something at 40+5.

Lou x

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
mine did LOL

jami was 40+5 and weighed 6lb 10oz
catherine was 40+2 and weighed 7lb 9oz
ben was 39+6 and weighed 9lb

id dread the weight if i had anymore LOL

candgsmumcandgsmum
Charlotte was 7lb 7oz at 40 +12
George was 7lb 5oz at 40 +4

I assume if I'd hung on with George he would have most likely been a little heavier than Charlotte.

GTTkelGTTkel
Hum so generally we're leaning towards baby weight increasing (with a few exceptions). I have a feeling if it's a girl this time she'll be about 7lb 8oz ; and if it's a boy he'll be about 8lb 2oz Shrug I know what will be will be, it's just that I'm trying to gather as much information as possible to assess the liklihood of events at the birth as I want to have a home birth this time. I'm aware that I'm probably going to tear, as I did with both before, I just don't want to have such a huge baby that I'd need an episiotomy.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak

GTTkel said:
Hum so generally we're leaning towards baby weight increasing (with a few exceptions). I have a feeling if it's a girl this time she'll be about 7lb 8oz ; and if it's a boy he'll be about 8lb 2oz Shrug I know what will be will be, it's just that I'm trying to gather as much information as possible to assess the liklihood of events at the birth as I want to have a home birth this time. I'm aware that I'm probably going to tear, as I did with both before, I just don't want to have such a huge baby that I'd need an episiotomy.

Umm Just so as to add to the information. Just because you tore during both previous births doesn't mean you will definitely tear this time hun. My mum tore with me and my brother. 9years after me and 7yr after my brother she then had my sister. She weighed the same as me and my brother (give or take an ounce or two) so wasn't really small and she didn't need any stitches at all Confused LOL

Also, my friend had an 8lb9oz daughter in 2005. It was an awful birth and she really suffered. She had a long labour (30hr)and she tore very badly and had to have tonnes of stitches put in, in theatre. She actually couldn't go out afterwards on her own for almost 6mth!! Shocked She decided she didn't want anymore children after that experience but then changed her mind. In June last year she gave birth to her second daughter, naturally (although she was offered a c-section after her last birth) weighing 8lb13oz. She txt me at 5am to say she had been having a few contractions but it may not be anything. At 9.30am her husband txt me to say she had had the baby! So active labour was only around 2-3hr this time. Plus no stitches, not one!!! She was up and about within hours of the birth and was back home in her flat by late that afternoon. Hope that helps hun. every birth really is a completely different experience! Xx

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews