Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Help my son as adhd and no one wants to help

fran38fran38
posted 9 years 4 weeks ago
My son has adhd but because he has only just turned 6 we cant get the help we need as they wont give him medication till hes 8, when hes out of control and starts hitting out he like a fll grown man and bruises and hurts me allthey seem to want to do is send me on parenting course which jut aint working. Is there anyne out there that has got the same problems or got any advice please get back to me as im at the end tether thanks

AlexAlex Moderator
How do school deal with him? The best way is to work together with them so he has continuity.

Routine is a must and try to stick to it as much as possible, a visual timetable is great- he can see what he has to do and in what order and this allows you to prepare him for any changes to his routine. Sticker charts are good as well. Be firm with him as well when you see behaviour you don't like and still with any punishment you choose.

You can also ask you GP, school Doctor, Ed Psych for tips. Not all ADHD children need medication and if you can find ways to deal with his behaviour without it IMO it is better for the child.

SamuelSamuel
All children with ADHD improve with therapy, all drugs do is rot their brain and take away any personality they have, it is a bit like people taking antivirals instead of using condoms, it just covers up the symptoms without treating it.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
posted 9 years 3 weeks ago
I'm sorry you are having problems hun. I'm afraid i can't be much help. However i think Alex has given you some very valuble advice - go and talk to the school and see how they are dealing with him and work with them, applying the same sort of suidelines at home as they use at school. I am not of the opinion tha drugs are evil and you shouldn't give them too him at all but i do believe (like Alex) if you can find another way to deal with him then that can only be a good thing! Good luck hun, i really hope you can find a way to help him deal with his problems! Hug Xx

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews