Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

packing my hostpital bag

mum2be-feb09mum2be-feb09
posted 8 years 10 months ago
hi all can i please have some help again LOL. im 36 weeks today and some time this week i am going to pack my hostpital bag iv got most of it sorted but im just alittle confused on what to take for the baby and what size. so far i have got a white vest a baby grow which fits up to a 10lb baby.scratch mites a white hat blue an white booties and a blue cardigan. i also have a soft snow suit which is for a baby up to 10lb will this be ok or will i just need warm blanket for him or both the coat and blanket. oh dear i feel so think LOL.

ellee1984ellee1984
take plenty of vests and baby grows.. i had to change izzy several times in the first day so much so from sick i actually run out of clean babygrows and had to get some brought in for me.

they tend to like the baby to wear a hat so take a hat in. when i had izzy though i had her in the heat of the summer (august 2006) hottest summer ever!! so when she came out she just had a cardi on over her sleepsuit n vest and a hat and blanket maybe someone who had a winter baby will be able to advise you on what they did but i remember if your taking the baby out in a car you have to strap the baby into the car seat in the hospital.

i hope thats some help

ellee1984ellee1984
sorry forgot to put in about sizes i took in a mixture of newborn and 0-3's

mum2be-feb09mum2be-feb09
oh thanks for that that has help me alot. getting really exited now with packing my hostpital i no that iv not got long to go LOL. did have a few tears earlier i saw a lady in hostpital today in labour and i got home and cried and said to my BF oh no iv got to give birth LOL. had a scan today to check babys growth they say he is avarge for his age and is routhly 6lb 8. thanks again for your help xx Hug

GTTkelGTTkel
The up to 10lb sounds good, most of the clothes I had for my first one swamped her to begin with. Generally vests and body suits because new borns are very awkward and fiddly to manipulate into clothes.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Sounds like the others have done a good job filing you in hun. I totally agree with ellee. I would take a few babygrow/vests plus don't forget nappies and cottonwool etc as most hspitals won't supply these for you. Also of you are planning on bottle feeding then you may need to take in bottles and tinned milk? I don't want to frighten you but i ended up having an emergency c-section with my DD and so i was in hospital for a week, it came in very handt that i had packed a fair bit although DF obviously still had to bring in a few things for me. Just thought you should maybe think you may be in for more than just one day? I'm sure thing's will go fine though hun. I had a VBAC with 2nd and was only in for 12hr (ish). I am not going to lie and say labour doesn't hurt but it honestly isn't as bad as all the horror stories i heard before i had mine! Hug Xx

WolfblassWolfblass
I'd make sure you have atleast two vests and babygro's in newborn and 0-3 months, 2 blankets, hat, cardigan, booties, snowsuit etc. How far do you live from hospital? If you did need more or had to stay in a little longer than exected is it easy enough for someone to run home and get some?

And this is what 'extras' are going in my bag for mum:

Spare t-shirt and deodarant for DP
change
frozen drinks and some snacks
water spray
paracetomol
feminine wipes (or baby wipes)
bobbles
lip balm

Oooh it's getting so exciting now! 36 weeks! Thumbs Up

WelshMumWelshMum

mum2popsnjak said:
Sounds like the others have done a good job filing you in hun. I totally agree with ellee. I would take a few babygrow/vests plus don't forget nappies and cottonwool etc as most hspitals won't supply these for you. Also of you are planning on bottle feeding then you may need to take in bottles and tinned milk? I don't want to frighten you but i ended up having an emergency c-section with my DD and so i was in hospital for a week, it came in very handt that i had packed a fair bit although DF obviously still had to bring in a few things for me. Just thought you should maybe think you may be in for more than just one day? I'm sure thing's will go fine though hun. I had a VBAC with 2nd and was only in for 12hr (ish). I am not going to lie and say labour doesn't hurt but it honestly isn't as bad as all the horror stories i heard before i had mine! Hug Xx

I was going to suggest that too, again don't want to scare you but it's best to be prepared just in case- I had 2 emergency c-sections and although with Gemma and this little one I was/am hoping for a vaginal delivery it's best to plan ahead. I didn't go into labour with either James or Gem so can't be in any help in that department sorry! Shrug

I've more or less got what I need for my bag but haven't packed it properly yet as still have to wash the clothes I've bought.

Not long for you now! Hug

Lou x

mum2be-feb09mum2be-feb09
AAHHHH THANKS GIRLS. REALLY HELPFUL I WAS ONLY GOING TO PACK THINGS FOR 1 DAY BUT AS YOU SAY THINGS CAN GO WRONG SO I NEED TO BE PREPARED. I ONLY LIVE 10 MINS AWAY FROM HOSTPITAL SO ITS NOT TO BAD ID JUST RATHER GET EVERY THING SORTED SO MY BF DOESNT HAVE TO DO MUCH CAUSE I NO HE WILL END UP GETTING ALL IN A FLAP LOL.
THANKS AGAIN GIRLS ONE LESS THING FOR ME TO WORRY ABOUT. Hug XX

kristagkristag
I changed Sophie 5 times in about 6 hours whilst we were waiting in the post-natal ward for discharge so I'd agree that lots of vests and babygrows are a great idea.

Also, a friend had a baby of over 11lbs (owch!!!) so I'd advise packing maybe one of your larger items - just in case Scared

Good luck hun x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews