Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Is olbas oil safe for babies under 2 months?

kristagkristag
posted 9 years 6 months ago
Sophie has yet another cold and a cough this time Sad I wondered if anyone had used Olbas Oil for a baby under 3 months. I've seen it on other forums when I've done a Google search for it but would like to know from the folk I trust here!

I'm not sure why it's 3 months and above on the bottle as you leave it out of the babies reach but perhaps it's too strong a smell for them now? Mind you, can't be worse than the Deep Heat Mike's putting on his sore wrist!

Has anyone got any cold/cough remedies for a 2 month old?

Hope you all had a fab Xmas Thumbs Up

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
I'm sorry hun, i never used Olbas oil for mine. After Lolly was born she had the snuffles for what felt like months. I'm not sure if it was a cold in the end, but i couldn't get anything for her except the saline drops and prop her crib up. I just had a quick look at the Calpol plug-in and the kavol drops to see what their age recommendation was and they also say can be used from 3mths? Sorry hun, i wish i could have been more help. I know how frustrating it is though - believe me! Hug Hug Hug

AlexAlex Moderator
are you sure it is a cold??? She sounds so like Joseph at times and he had excess mucus which he had swallowed and took a time to clear, which I know now is because he had a narrow airway. And I tried olbus oil on him from about a month, I popped no more than 2 drops on a tissue and put it at the top of his cot so it was well out of reach but it didnt work. hope she is better soon.xx

kristagkristag

Alex said:
are you sure it is a cold??? She sounds so like Joseph at times and he had excess mucus which he had swallowed and took a time to clear, which I know now is because he had a narrow airway. And I tried olbus oil on him from about a month, I popped no more than 2 drops on a tissue and put it at the top of his cot so it was well out of reach but it didnt work. hope she is better soon.xx

I've popped the Olbas in the same room as us - I guessed that wouldn't hurt.

She does seem to come and go with mucus. I'm really unsure to be honest if it's a cold or not. One day she's fine and then suddenly she'll start coughing a bit and dribbling lots. She kind of is sick but it's just watery, slimey stuff she brings up. I never had this with Jas so it's a mystery to me to be honest Shrug

SamuelSamuel
What colour is the mucus? It could be a sinus infection or thrush of the throat.

zoeolizoeoli
Hi

As babies cannot blow their noses themselves, snot can build up and give them a lot of problems, inlcuding choking and gagging. I live in France and here the common practice for a babe with a snotty nose is a combination of a saline spray for the nose, to loosen stuff up, plus use of a clever little gadget called a "mouche bebe". This lets you to manually clear out the nose, by sucking the snot out through a tube. Sounds disgusting I know, but it's painless and it works ... my lad had endless ear/nose/throat problems when he was tiny and every time I used the mouche bebe at the first sign of a cold, it always passed uneventfully, whereas whenever I was too lazy we ended up with ear infection, etc.

I have no idea whether you would be able to find a mouche bebe in the UK, but it's well worth investigating, or if you know anyone in Europe, ask them to post one to you.

zoeolizoeoli
An update:

Have just done a quick Google and found out that they are called "nasal aspirators" in English! There's a good one on the website of the National Childbirth Trust

candgsmumcandgsmum
I used it for George when he was a few weeks as he came down with an infection and after him swallowing stuff on the way out etc he was struggling to breathe.

I put a few drops in a little water in an oil burner so he could inhale it easily. My room smelled lovely for days hehe! It seemed to help too.

catswinniecatswinnie
i took my babby to primary care when he was six weeks cos he had cold and was struggling to feed, the doctor there advised me that i could use olbas oil in warm water to ease his breathing, i also used steam to help i sat in bathroom with shower going but keeping the door open and babby on knee just in vest so he didnt overheat this helped before bedtime to clear his airway.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews