Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Help, My baby girl is waking up about 4-6 times in the night

posted 9 years 3 months ago

Any suggestions as to why my baby might be doing this and how to stop it. She used to sleep so well. She is 3 months and this has been happening for about 2 weeks. I just get up and put her dummy in and she is straight back to sleep. I have tried just letting her cry but she just doesn't stop. I'm getting so tired and so is hubby. Help!

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
That's not unusual for a baby her age... just go back in the room as you are doing and comfort her and then leave again.... try to let her cry it out (coming from someone who was not so good at that Embarassed and had reprecutions because of it later) I know it's easier said than done.

I hope you'll get some better advise here than I've given you, but I wanted to also say welcome to JP! Wave

Welcome to JP hun. Wave I am Mandy, mum to Lauren 3 in Jan ans Jake 10mths

It really isn't unusual to be up a few times with a three month old hun. There could be a few reasons for it. Babies this age quite often have a little growth spurt so she may be more hungry than usual? Do you give her a dummy when you put her to bed hun? If so she may be waking because she has dropped her dummy and is too small to find it again herself. That is why she is content again when you give it back to her? If this is the case, you may need to try and get her used to sleeping without her dummy and then she shouldn't wake looking for it in the night. This may take a while though. When she wakes, go to her, pick her up and comfort her using as little noise as possible, try not to talk to her and stimulate her. When she has quietened, put her back in her cot and move away. If she cries again follow the same pattern. As there are a few reasons that she may be waking, too hot, too cold, wet, dirty, hungry etc. Make sure you have ruled these out first before trying the pick up, put down routine. Especially as she is still so young. Hope some of this helps hun. Good luck Xx

AlexAlex Moderator
Welcome to JP

This is so common and for many there babies arent sleeping through at all at this young age so you have been lucky having a full nights sleep already Very Happy

Your baby could be having a growth spurt and needing a bot extra food (or if you are using formula, it is maybe time to move to stage 2 milk)

She could be teething, My DS had his first tooth at 4mths.

She may be thirsty, try offering some cooled boiled water to her.

tyr to rule out every possiblity before trying controlled crying, or the pick up put down method.

Good luck.xx

posted 7 years 4 months ago
hi, i'm having the same trouble myself and could use some tips. i have a girl turning 6 months and she always stirred for her soother but of the last 2 weeks, she has been waking increasingly. its not hunger as she can still wake 20 minutes after a bottle and do as she would without.she's not overly hungry for the morning feed either. i know she is teething but she doesnt generally seem too bad with it. it does seem to be just looking for the soother,(dummy). i'm just confused as to whether to let her cry it out, or should i try to get her off the soother? any advise kindly accepted, bed is only teasing me at this stage. Shrug

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews