Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Should babies face backwards in the buggy??

AlexAlex Moderator
posted 9 years 2 months ago
I saw THIS ARTICLE this morning and it made me laugh.

Personally I think it is rubbish. Joseph was in a pram facing me for the first 5mths (he was too long so had to move onto the buggy, and he was sitting up) I did start him out facing me but he kept turning his head when I was out so I turned hom around to face the way we were going so he could see things and I could point things out to him. I did talk to him and point things out.

I wouldnt say he has been psychologically damaged because he wasnt facing me in the buggy.

what do you think?

ellee1984ellee1984
izzy went into a buggy at 4 months so she couldnt see me and i wouldnt say it done her any damage in fact she loved it cos she could see where she was going

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
I've had Aaralyn in her stroller with her infant carrier in it facing me and with out the infant carrier facing away from me. She's a very social child and laughs and talks alot to everyone, with the occasional shy mood.

I can't see why either direction should make a difference. When Aaralyn was facing away from me I still talked to her and pointed things out and said what they were..... I think it's up to what the parent is comfortable with in my opinion Shrug

soupsoup
i think it makes perfect sense and think there should be more rear facing buggies

im not so sure about the whole mental harm thing but the results in the study were very clear i think.

i also had ds1 in a forward facing buggy and had problems that are mentioned in the study he had been sick a bit and i hadn't noticed, if i was ever to buy a buggy again it would be a rear facing one

"It was discovered 25 per cent of parents using face-to-face buggies talked to their baby – more than twice as many as those with away-facing buggies.

Babies facing towards the buggy-pusher were found to experience a reduced heart rate and were twice as likely to fall asleep, suggesting they were less stressed.

Mothers and infants who had a chance to use both types of buggy laughed more frequently with face-to-face buggies. Only one baby in the group of 20 laughed during the away-facing journey, while half laughed during the face-to-face journey.

Alison Gibson, of the Glasgow Pram Centre, said: "Parents increasingly want the face-to-face type of buggies, partly because of the interaction that they can have, but there is also the element of welfare.

"A lot don't like the wind being blown into their children's face and some mothers have said that there had been occasions where their child had been sick and they hadn't realised."

http://www.scotsman.com/latestnews/Forwardfacin...717570.jp#3459904

ElementaryElementary
Personally I preferred to have Martha facing me! In fact it was only when I had the Maclaren (she was nearly 3) that she didn't face me!
Could this be one of the reasons she is so open and confident Confused
It's all a matter of opinion

candgsmumcandgsmum
Charlotte was in a pram for a couple of months then in the seat which would face either way, she preferred to face forward! She was a very nosey little thing (and still is)! She went into a stroller at about four months.

George never faced me in his buggy, although he laid flat to begin with and could see me through a window in the hood. He would always see Charlotte walking next to him when he was able to sit in his seat.

I would say that delaying them is a little over the top, but i can also see where they are coming from interaction wise, but both mine just interacted with everyone else they saw instead!

AlexAlex Moderator

candgsmum said:

I would say that delaying them is a little over the top, but i can also see where they are coming from interaction wise, but both mine just interacted with everyone else they saw instead!

So did Joseph, and I talked to him as we went and pointed thngs out. Joseph is a very bright, confident, happy boy
And also children spent more time out of the buggy at home etc so surely thats where most of the interaction takes place and probably the best.

I was just talking about this with my friend and she said her DD wouldnt sleep in the buggy when facing her, only when she was facing forwards.

LucyLucy
Both of mine were in the pram facing me until they were about 4 months and then when they were able to sit up a bit they went front facing, i have a brainy child and a child that struggles they havent been treated any different but they are different and have different needs.

I think its a lot of old rubbish and a child will be what it will be whichever way it faces

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
I can understand what it says about laughing more on a face to face journey, and possibly that you talk more to a baby that is facing you? However both mine have been in buggy's from a few months old. I think as long as you spend time with you children, play, interract, point out things in general life then whatever way you have your baby facing in the buggy is fairly irrelevant? Xx

SamuelSamuel
We always have push chair and prams that face us, when Mikey was little he would cry if we used a forward facing one, the same with Jamie so we didn't even bother trying Pippa in a forward facing pushchair. To be fair though we don't use pushchairs and prams that much, we use them more with Pippa, but with the boys we mainly carried them.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews