Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

i want my bed back

eviesmomeviesmom
posted 9 years 2 weeks ago
HELP!my 21 month old daughter had an ear infection that dragged on for nearly 2 months,she was quite poorley and ended up staying in bed with me and my husband for a while and now she wont sleep in her cot. I can get her to go to sleep in her cot but then wakes numerous times in the night until i give in and put her in bed with us. Has anyone been in the same situation and can give advice on what to do?

GTTkelGTTkel
Oh yes, through tiredness I kept giving in just so I could get some sleep but it got to the point where we'd had enough. We had nights of her getting back up and crying; and it was hard not to give in as we just wanted to sleep but we kept taking her back quickly and without making too much fuss. Just telling her she had to stay in her own bed. She soon learnt that we weren't going to give in and gave up trying. We now have a rule that the kids can only come into our bed just before we get up in the morning for a cuddle.

soupsoup
wss

if your going to make a stand then really commit to it, it might take a few nights because shes lernt that if she keeps screaming then you will cave in eventually

so think of a time when its good for you - when your partner doesn't have to get up for work etc etc

when she wakes go to her lay her down expl\ain that its still night time and sit with her untill she drifts off again, keep attention down to a min make sure that your being there isn't fun in anyway and hopefully she will realise that you are not there to talk/cuddle/play etc and go to sleep Sleep

be strong and resist the cuteness Very Happy

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Here here hun.

I'm afraid the only way if you want to change her behaviour is perseverance. As soup says pick the best time for you and just don't give in. If she gets up put her back to bed with as little conversation as possible. Eventually she will learn that she is getting no attention and isn't getting what she wants so will give up. As has already been said, it may take a little while though, so don't get disheartened after a night or two just keep persevering! Hope you get to have your bed back soon hun Hug Xx

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews