Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Sophie has sharp fingernails - how to trim them?`

kristagkristag
posted 9 years 1 month ago
Sophie has very sharp little fingernails. She's managed to scratch her face a few times already and seems to enjoy sticking them right in her eyes Shocked

I've read up that you're supposed to file them with a soft nail file or bite them off.

I've tried to file them but I'm not sure, to be honest, if it's making them worse. They are only tiny and trying, even with the finest file, to get them non-scratchy is quite hard.

I thought about biting them but I think I'm more likely to bite her whole finger off so I'll scrap that idea.

Anyone recommend a way to sort out scratchy nails, other than keeping scratch mits on which I don't want to do as she likes her hands out and free?

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
I had the baby nail clippers but didn't use them until she was older... I bit them off (I know Gag but it worked) or sometimes peel? them off IYKWIM?

GTTkelGTTkel
Most people say nibble them of but I've always just used nail scissors. Just hold the hand very tight so they don't move, when they are really small it helps to do it when they are asleep.

SamuelSamuel
We use nail clippers when they are asleep when they are still little.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
I found when they were really tiny i could peel them off usually. But if i couldn't then i would bite them off. as they stated to get a little older (around 2mth or so) i would use clippers or baby nail scissors while they were sleeping too hun Xx

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator

mum2popsnjak said:
I found when they were really tiny i could peel them off usually. But if i couldn't then i would bite them off. as they stated to get a little older (around 2mth or so) i would use clippers or baby nail scissors while they were sleeping too hun Xx

I could have typed those words myself LOL... that's exactly what I did, I would just bite a little corner and then gently "peel" it off... and then at a few months old, clipped them with the baby nail clippers (which we both still use LOL) while she was sleeping... her's need to be done right now actually as I look at them Rolling Eyes

kristagkristag
Thanks folks. I'll get a little pair of nail scissors/clippers and do them when she's asleep Thumbs Up

soupsoup

Samuel said:
We use nail clippers when they are asleep when they are still little.

ditto

i could never bite them off and i used the file to soften the edges after clipping

candgsmumcandgsmum

hapydazy said:
I had the baby nail clippers but didn't use them until she was older... I bit them off (I know Gag but it worked) or sometimes peel? them off IYKWIM?

I found it was the only way I could do it too hun Gag

LucyLucy
i used to bite them i used the clipers once and snipped the end of Gemmas finger off, i took a chunk off and was so distressed i never did it again, id rather of got scratch mits

AlexAlex Moderator
I used to bit Joseph's nails. They say thats the best way because you can feel the finger and know how far down to bit.

youngmumyoungmum
- My blog
With Kailey, I waited until she was asleep, and trimmed them with nail scissors. It's quick, easy, and doesn't hurt.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews