Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Gardasil. OUR DAUGHTERS ARE NOT GUINEA PIGS

glowingsunglowingsun
posted 9 years 8 months ago
I'm not sure if any of you have daughters 9 or older. But you've probably heard about that contraversial HPV vaccine. ANd this is the wide spread concern over it.

www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews...070801?hub=Health

www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews...3?hub=CTVNewsAt11

thetyee.ca/News/2007/05/31/HPVVax/

LucyLucy
my daughter is due for the vaccine in yr 8 which is next year, i shall allow her to have it.

AlexAlex Moderator
I would let any daughter of mine have it.

LucyLucy
i understand if people disagree with it, but if it reduces the risk of cervical cancer then she will have it, if she has to have boosters later on in life thats up to her to have them if she wants but i think its not a bad thing and i will let her have it.

AlexAlex Moderator

Lucy said:
i understand if people disagree with it, but if it reduces the risk of cervical cancer then she will have it, if she has to have boosters later on in life thats up to her to have them if she wants but i think its not a bad thing and i will let her have it.

I think it is going to be another thing like the MMR- lots of arguing. People will believe what they want to and make up their own minds and decisions.

ElementaryElementary
Martha will not be due for a few years, but I'll let her have it too

LucyLucy
its fine if you wouldnt allow your daughter to have the vaccine, but i will let Gemma have it and then its up to her to keep up the boosters if necessary.

If it means that she will have less of a chance of contracting the disease then i would be happy to give it to her.

I understand certain concerns but they usually are minimal.

SamuelSamuel
Pippa will definately be having it when she is old enough.

jo-jojo-jo
We also have it here in Australia it is given in the first year of high school when the girls are 14-15.You can also have it up to the age of 26 i think??Last year was the first year they started it over here and they have had a good response.My cousins have all had it and if i had a daughter i would make her have it done also.As lucy said the boosters would be entirely up to her.
I guess its up to the parents to decide if its right for them or not?? risks with vaccines are minimal these days.

glowingsunglowingsun
www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/09/02/f-gardasil.html?ref=rss

here is a more rounded article that tackles both sides.
i just think that gardasil hasn't been researched enough. There were girls in the test runs that developed dangerous fevers shortly after the vaccination and I think 1 girl has died already. i think.
Also, this vaccine is very expensive. I couldn't afford it.
My mom is highly against it more so than me. If I did decide to get Candra vaccinated, I would have to do it on the DL.

WkdblueWkdblue
Firstly, each country is using different versions of the vaccine so your article is only concerning the one which is uded in the States at present.

Secondly, it is common for people to have a fever after a vacination, I had one recently after my flu jab. It doesn't mean anything and can normally be broken by ibuprofen or paracetamol.

Also, no one is using anyone as a guinea pig so it's wrong to suggest that is the case. If you don't want your daughter to have the vaccine then don't sign the consent form.

I would have no hesitation in allowing any daughter of mine have this potentially life saving injection.

Could you also please state your sources re the person dieing after having the vaccine and of the figures of those that ran a fever. I'm guessing that this is all heresay and like chinese whispers started with someone feeling a bit ill and after being passed down the line has ended with the person dieing!

LucyLucy
we dont pay here in the UK as it will be provided on the NHS. I agree there are side effects to all vaccines, but they usually are minimal and i beleive that our country would not even consider giving this to our children without research.

So I stand by my decision

SamuelSamuel
GlowingSun, more people died in the placebo group than the vaccine group, which proves the vaccine does not cause deaths. This was the same for the two vaccines available.

candgsmumcandgsmum
I would allow Charlotte to have the vaccine, also this thread reminded me I need to make an appointment for my smear Embarassed LOL!!

jo-jojo-jo

Lucy said:
we dont pay here in the UK as it will be provided on the NHS. I agree there are side effects to all vaccines, but they usually are minimal and i beleive that our country would not even consider giving this to our children without research.

So I stand by my decision

We aslo dont pay for it over here its covered by the government.It has also been approved by the Australian health commision.There is no record (of which i can find)over here of anyone becoming ill or dying. (i looked it up good old google LOL).
Each to there own i suppose.

glowingsunglowingsun
It costs about $125 - $150 in Canada. It could become free in a few years.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews