Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Needing help on a name !!!

mum2be-feb09mum2be-feb09
posted 9 years 11 months ago
What do you all think of naming your babies after the parents i found out that i am haing a boy and my boyfriend wonts to name him Tony which my boyfriends names is tony i like it but just am not to sure about it. please could you tell me what u all think !!!

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
Ok, this is only my opinion and I know and expect others will disagree but, I think that a child's first name should be their own and not after someone else. I think it's nice to have a middle name after a loved one, ect.... my daughter's middle name is Makenlee (pronounced mah'ken lee) my biological father's name was Kenneth Lee and I incorporated his name into hers but still leaving it her "own" iygwim?

I do understand it's a big tradition with alot of people to name children after other family members and that's ok if everyone is ok with it I guess? It's really up to you guys in the end..... Naming babies can sometimes really cause some friction can't it! That's why when I was pregnant I didn't ask anybody their opinions about names I liked and I also asked people nicely not to constantly make suggestions.... could be why my daugther was 5 days old before she was called Aaralyn LOL

Good luck with the decision making hun!

kristagkristag
I agree with Tammy. Jasmine's middle name is Friederike after my mum but I wouldn't want to call a child by a parent or grandparent's name.

We also haven't spoken to anyone to ask opinions about names. We decided what we wanted ourselves and told people what we were planning to call her. Some thought it great, my sister wasn't sure and thought it didn't sound like a name I'd choose (not sure I really understand that). However, she said it's growing on her. When she's born, she will just 'be' that person anyway.

Whatever your choice, good luck hon Thumbs Up

ElinElin
We are going to call our baby Jack and Joakim from my dad. I dont have a Jack in the family and Rich dont either.

I dont see any problems to take a first name from a family member but not from ther own dad or mum.

WolfblassWolfblass
I also agree with Tammy - i think a childs name should be their own and because you like it Very Happy - not necessarily named after someone Shrug

If you both like Tony then i don't see why not - however i can see it being rather confusing as the years go on. Which Tony do they mean?? Shrug

eamesy88eamesy88
- My blog
I agree with comments made above, it's good as a middle name but i wouldn't do it myself as the first name.
Crystal is Crystal Rose, which is after my great nan (who was 93 yesterday) she is called Georgina Rosemary but she doesn't like Georgina so get's called nan Rose.
With this one now we have the name's in mind and we have asked opinions on the boys spelling on here, we are thinking of Christopher for a boy middle name which is after my oldest brother (but we havent told him yet) and for a girls middle name Rich want his Nan's name which is Mair (my-a) which is Mary in Welsh, so let's see. But i'm sure which ever you choose for your baby, people will except it and it will grow onto them

glowingsunglowingsun
I find it's best to pick a name that you haven't heard of before or one that isn't associated with anyone you know of. I personally think it's old fashioned to name a child after any family member. This could could pose as a problem later for mistaken identity.
Also pick a name that has an attractive meaning and sound to it. There are alot of baby name books you can get at the library or book store.
IMPORTANT: If you see name you like, always see how it sounds with the last name. You don'r want to have your kids name sounding something like Emma Royd (hemmaroid, get it!?)
ooo, you should check out this site I found on the most humiliating names in history. These are real names of actual people. I feel sorry for them.

www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/forums/ubbthre...amp;Number=204544

But anyways, if you really not sure of the name Tony but want to be fair to your hubby, then request it as a middle name. Thats what me and Rob did with Candra. He liked the name Dawn but I wanted something more uncommon and but pretty.

LucyLucy
Last edited by Lucy 9 years 11 months ago
Toms middle name is christopher which is my husbands name
and Gemmas not named after anyone in particular

GTTkelGTTkel
I know a couple who named their son after his dad and from day one they were called "Big Pete" and "Little Pete", still are now and the son is around 20/22ish. It just seems natural to hear it from them as it's never been any different but is this what you'd like for your son?
Personally speaking our children have middle names after or grand parents.

gypseygypsey
chels got jane wich is my middle name but talia .oliver. and mason are all randomly picked !!!! Smile

jo-jojo-jo
I got more than pushed when we named our first son. He is named after my father in law.My husband now regrets it(because he dislikes him) but at the time i swear we nearly got divorced and i didnt stop crying for days. Crying
We are so used to my sons name and we have shortened it (much to my FIL horror)that i cant picture calling him anything else i also think its a beautiful name so it doesnt bother me.Our second child i chose his name and DH didnt say a word LOL. Yes
Just go with what you feel in your heart will make both you and the child happy.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Yep i agree with most of what has already been said. I would try and choose a first name that isn't a family name and maybe have a family middle name if that's what you like? We didn't tell anyone the names we had chosen as i didn't want peoples opinions putting us off. I knew once the baby was born and named nobody would comment if they didn't like it! I wanted a name we both likedwhich was very hard as we disagreed on everything Rolling Eyes LOL. However i told my DF if we couldn't come to an agreement then I was naming him/her. I said if i was going through labour then i was choosing! We ended up agreeing on Lauren before she was born and DF liked Jake which i also liked, so that stuck for a boy. Laurens middle name is Michaella after mike as i said i wasn't having any more and so not to expect a son to name, she also has a family name of Ann which lots of woman on my mums side have included somewhere in the name. Jake also has 2 middle names so as not to be left out. He is named Jake Liam (after mikes father William, we just took the last part) and Michael( again after mike). . . least they can't argue when they are older over them eh! LOL. I would choose whatever you want and don't take notice of anybody elses opinions tbh. Good luck choosing hun Hug Xx

WelshMumWelshMum
James and Gemma are not named after anyone although Gem's middle name is my sister's first name. We have chosen Lewis for a boy (male version of my name) and Jessica for a girl (female version of Jer's nickname, Jezz). Lewis will have Jer's dad's middle name (Robert) as his own middle name as Jer's dad died a few years ago and we both want to carry this on. Smile

TAMSTAMS
My husband has the same names as his Dad. This has led to many probs with the taxman over the years including when his Dad stated drawing his pension having a big tax bill for my husbands earnings. So we decided not even to have the same initials.

catswinniecatswinnie
I agree with all comments above,i dislike the thought of giving a child the same name as the father, as the child should be an individual. Would your OH settle for having his name as a middle name, this is what i did with mine. Hope you gt it sorted as i know what a pain it can be Smile

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews