Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

I fully support Bratz. Apperently I'm the only one

glowingsunglowingsun
posted 9 years 4 months ago
In a newspaper recently I saw a most upsetting article. Bratz was pulled from the scholastic book catalogs. The reason was that their were complaints that the dolls are apperently too skimpy in their cloths. The examples in the pictures they showed had nothing to backup their reports. Honestly, a white strapless thigh length dress is nothing to fret about. I've seen many wedding dresses like it. The rest of the Bratz on the covers were dressed like any other trendy girl. Shirt and jeans. OOOO how scandelous.
I had an interesting debate with my mom inlaw. And of course because she's a conservative christian who hasn't raised any daughters, she thought that the Bratz are not good roll models. Even though she has bought candra Bratz dolls.
So, let me clear up some exaggerated misconceptions. If you really pay attention and watch the movies and the shows and read the books you'll see their clothes are all about a sense of modern fashion. And, yes, it can seem a bit skimpy to those who are not used to the fashion world. Barbie was no better a doll, either. She had a few moments herself, what with that chest that stuck out so far.
The stories in bratz is all about friendship and accomplishing your dream. These are teen girls who make it far by using their talents whenever they get a chance. The own their own magazine and rock band, for heavens sake. I guess thats not the ideal jobs parents want for their kids.
I let my daughter play with dolls and havent had any issues. She is six. She loves to sing along to the songs and play fashion games and pet care games on the computer all having to do with Bratz. I do NOT believe for a second she is being sexually exploited in anyway. She dresses normal. Has a sense of taste in fashion that does not rely on brand names. She is actively fit. And loves to make friends. This is what the Bratz are trying encourage. I have not once seen anything pertaining to sex or the like. It's rediculous what people will do when they have insecurities to the point they are jealous of a doll.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
Funny you should bring this up now as all the sudden Aaralyn is asking me for Bratz stuff and I still won't buy anything Bratz for her. I did watch the movie and I think the movie was great, had a good message to it and actually changed my mind a little about how I feel about the whole Bratz Product, but I still will not buy Aaralyn the dolls. I think they are themed for a teen's maturity level not a little girl, but that's my opinion. Maybe if they toned down the makeup on the dolls I may change my mind someday but for now I stand my ground that I'm not buying the dolls for her (although she found one I had packed away that she got for her birthday Rolling Eyes )

I am extremely far from being a conservative Christian but I still think they are too "mature" for little girls....

My best friend caved and started buying her daughters bratz dolls things and I still love her so I'm not going to judge anyone who allows their girls to play with them either....

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
i have to agree with tammy bout the makeup. its a bit much and also to sell the dolls with makeup sets. i dont agree with giving a 5/6/7/8yr old makeup. ive nothing against the dolls themselves. jamis had a few. i do think theyre way toooo much money

glowingsunglowingsun
But didn't barbie do the same with make up? I know the Bratz dolls do have quite a bit of Make up on. But you can't judge them solely on that.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator

glowingsun said:
But didn't barbie do the same with make up? I know the Bratz dolls do have quite a bit of Make up on. But you can't judge them solely on that.

I'm not a huge fan of Barbie either Shrug but, I think that generally Barbie's make up is done a little classier and Bratz are just a little hoochier....

Honestly I think the toy manufacturer has come up with the movies (and books too??) to try to make the "dolls" seen in a little more positive light than when they first came out with just the dolls and the accessories, if that makes any sense?

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
quite a bit? they look trashy. sorry hun but they do and theyre aimed at young girls who then want to look like that. i dont agree with it

glowingsunglowingsun
Oh, definitly. I didn't like the Bratz wheni first saw them. They looked weird. I think it was their oversized heads that really gotot me. Kinda like bobble heads.
There were quite a few other flashy dolls that were on the shelves. My Scene, Flavor Favs and others. I think Flavor Favs (Ithink that was the name of the dolls) were far more risque. They were dressed just like those rap hoochies on those blingy rap videos. I don't think they lasted long.

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
those my scene were awful too. i remember jami getting one for xmas once

glowingsunglowingsun
Have you seen there website? Go to the games in the shopping spree game. There's this one theme where it's like super short skirt and revealing top. I don't go that far with Candra.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews