Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

my birthplan - the bullet points

soupsoup
posted 9 years 7 months ago

have i missed anything important ? I spent 6 hours doing this today someone had better bloody read it this time!

I hope to manage using no drugs for pain relief but may use gas and air if needed
I would like to remain active and use whatever position I find comfortable. Please encourage me to stay off my back and suggest positions/movements to help.
I do not want my waters broken, Please be careful when examining me
I would like to minimise internal examinations
I wish to use aromatherapy during the labour, Caroline Fox has given permission for me to use the birthing centres oils and vapouriser.
I may want to play music during the labour, I will provide this
I may want to record the birth, I will provide the recording equipment
I would like to be informed of my progress,
I would like to see and touch my baby’s head as it crowns.
I would like baby to come straight to me for skin to skin contact and breast feeding,
I would like either me or my husband to cut the cord after it has stopped pulsating
I would like to deliver the placenta naturally,
Vitamin k if needed can be given orally,
I am very happy to donate my cord blood to the hospitals blood banks
I don’t want to be cut or stitched or injected unless absolutely necessary and if it is deemed necessary then I want to approve before any action is taken
Please do not suction mucus from the baby's nose and mouth 'just in case' - only suction if necessary.

AlexAlex Moderator
you have been busy hun.

I hope they read it for you and follow your wishes.

soupsoup
thanks

i think ive covered everything

candgsmumcandgsmum
Wow I thought mine was thorough with George LOL. Smile

I delivered my placenta naturally with George (although it wasn't planned i was happy to have the injection, but George was taking everyone elses time up so I was just waiting really), it took about 10 mins if that to come away on it's own, it took longer than that with Charlotte and i had the injection Rolling Eyes

Hope you get the birth you want x

soupsoup

candgsmum said:
Wow I thought mine was thorough with George LOL. Smile

you should of seen the birth plan i used as a template Shocked

it was almost 5 pages long

jo-jojo-jo
Your birth plan is super organized LOL.
The first time i was pregnant i had a birth plan all prepared but i had to have a planned c-section so it went out the window.This time around my little boy came early(again) so i hadnt prepared one my gyno and MW were fantastic and explained everything and gave me the choice as to what i wanted to do it was truly awsome.
Goodluck hun i hope it all goes to plan for ya.xxx Hug

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Like the others have said hun, you truly are one organised lady! Clapping LOL. Mine was nowhere near that thorough with either of mine. I certainly don't think you have missed anything. I wouldn't have thought of half of that.
The only thing i would say is dont't get caught into the trap of feeling like you have to follow everything in your birthplan. When the time comes you may feel differently about some things, labour can be a very unpredictable thing and it's amazing how many emotions you go through. I also wanted to see the baby being born and feel the head before i had my son. (was the same in my daughters birthplan, but didn't get that far as she was emergency c-section) however when the time came, that was the last thing i wanted. It happened really fast anyway and there wasn't really time for that as Jake whole head and body was delivered within one big contraction Shocked (surprising the midwifes no end) LOL.
Good luck though hun, I really hope you get everything you want! Yes Xx
Meant to say, i know you already have been through labour so you will know more of what to expect but it's amazing how your feelings change with different pregnancies and labours. My feelings during labour were sooo different with both of mine - weird! Xx

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
It looks like a good plan soup!! I really hope it all works out for you that way and you have a great happy, healthy, speedy! delivery Baby Thumbs Up

JOJOJOJO
yep all sounds fantastic hope you get the labour and birth you want

LucyLucy
i hope it goes all as planned, looking good Clapping

angelsmomangelsmom
thats one very organised birth plan.
i wanted to follow mine all the way through until i went in to labour then i changed LOL.
my only worry (and you dont have to listen im just giving my experience and opinion) is not gettin mucus suctioned. there was no reason for hayden to have the mucus suctioned then about 3hours after we got home he choked and stopped breathing, brought up alot of mucus. scared the living daylights out of us all. if i was to have any more i'd get it done.

GTTkelGTTkel
A+ Go to the top of the class you have thought of everything. My birth plans basically said natural birth, no intervention unless baby's life depended on it and hubby to cut cord.
Atleast they can't say you didn't tell them, they will have no excuse to get it wrong. I also have to say your birth plan is just the sort of birth I have had and would like to have again Thumbs Up

WelshMumWelshMum
Both my plans went out the window as James and Gemma were delivered by emergency c-section- I am in 2 minds whether to ask for a trial of labour which knowing my luck will end up being another emergency c-section or just go for an elective section and at least know what to expect as this would be my first labour, didn't go into labour with either James or Gem.

soupsoup

WelshMum said:
Both my plans went out the window as James and Gemma were delivered by emergency c-section- I am in 2 minds whether to ask for a trial of labour which knowing my luck will end up being another emergency c-section or just go for an elective section and at least know what to expect as this would be my first labour, didn't go into labour with either James or Gem.

i would still want to try for a vbac, you never know it might go smoothly this time Very Happy

WelshMumWelshMum

soup said:

WelshMum said:

i would still want to try for a vbac, you never know it might go smoothly this time Very Happy

I should really, just expecting the worst I suppose- I didn't plan on either of the last 2 c-sections, I just assumed that I would be fine as both pregnancies were plain-sailing... I would hate myself if I didn't give it a shot.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
I should really, just expecting the worst I suppose- I didn't plan on either of the last 2 c-sections, I just assumed that I would be fine as both pregnancies were plain-sailing... I would hate myself if I didn't give it a shot.[/quote]

That's how i felt hun, although i'd only had the one emergency c-section. I felt that if i didn't give it a shot i would always be wondering if i could have achieved that natural birth. Jake was born naturally in the end after a 19hr labour. However a c-section is nothing to blame yourself over. The most important thing is that your litle bundle arrives into this world fit and healthy whether that is by c-section or vaginally! Xx

eamesy88eamesy88
posted 9 years 6 months ago
- My blog
Where did you find the 5 page plan to get your basic frame work for doing your own? Im sure many on here could benefit from it

soupsoup
it was a personal one so i would have to ask permission to post it and im not sure if she would go for it tbh

there was another site that was good i will post the link for that

WelshMumWelshMum

mum2popsnjak said:
I should really, just expecting the worst I suppose- I didn't plan on either of the last 2 c-sections, I just assumed that I would be fine as both pregnancies were plain-sailing... I would hate myself if I didn't give it a shot.

That's how i felt hun, although i'd only had the one emergency c-section. I felt that if i didn't give it a shot i would always be wondering if i could have achieved that natural birth. Jake was born naturally in the end after a 19hr labour. However a c-section is nothing to blame yourself over. The most important thing is that your litle bundle arrives into this world fit and healthy whether that is by c-section or vaginally! Xx[/quote]

The consultant/obstetrician at the hospital I had James in was very supportive of me having a natural birth for Gemma, they never said they would prefer me to have another c-section- I'm hoping they will carry on this supportiveness with this pregnancy.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
well good luck hun. I have my fingers crossed they go along with your wishes and you get to have the birth you long for! Hug Xx

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews