Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

dump coffee grinds in garden

glowingsunglowingsun
posted 9 years 8 months ago
I dump my used coffee grinds in the garden. It's supposed to be very good for the soil. Same with cigarette ash. It may not make a huge impact to decrease garbage, but it is one less thing to add to it.

candgsmumcandgsmum
posted 9 years 7 months ago
We stick them in the compost bin.

Its amazing how much compost we get out of it and it is great for the flower beds Thumbs Up

rz3300rz3300
posted 2 years 4 months ago
I have found that coffee grinds are a great way to teach the little ones about going green and taking care of the Earth by doing the little things. Given the amount of coffee that we drink, which is a lot, there is a need to reuse the grounds so putting them in soil or in the compost is a good teaching lesson. Getting them involved early is a great way to ensure they carry through.

purplepen88purplepen88
I save up my eggshells and then crush them and put them in the garden when I plant my tomato plants. I've heard they shells add calcium to the soil which helps tomato plants thrive. I'm sure coffee grinds will add something too. What I don't add to my garden I will compost through our cities composting program. It's important for our children to see us making the effort to be green and respect the environment.

LMK1115LMK1115
You can also use coffee grinds if you have issues with cockroaches. Put some coffee grinds in a mason jar with a little water and watch them pile up. You'll want somewhat of a tall jar so it's more difficult for them to crawl out.

mamajaymamajay

purplepen88 said:
I save up my eggshells and then crush them and put them in the garden when I plant my tomato plants. I've heard they shells add calcium to the soil which helps tomato plants thrive. I'm sure coffee grinds will add something too. What I don't add to my garden I will compost through our cities composting program. It's important for our children to see us making the effort to be green and respect the environment.
That's a new one for me. I've always wondered how I can utilize eggshells, other than for art. Since I have such a large family, we have so many eggshells and I really hate the way they look in the trash. It's refreshing to know that they can actually be useful. I know my kids will be excited when I tell them about this because they are my garden buddies. Thanks @purplepen88.

thash1979thash1979
posted 2 years 3 months ago
We have always used our coffee grinds in the homemade compost we make. It gets mixed in with the banana peels, old veggies and earth worms that we did up outside. You are right, it may not be a lot of fertilizer for the garden or soil, but it does help. Every little bit helps when you are going green and growing your own food supply. I would rather know what I am putting in my garden, rather than spreading a chemical on it, then eating the food.

Amelia88Amelia88
posted 2 years 2 months ago
I've heard of people using coffee grinds as something to use as a face scrub! I have kind of sensitive skin so I don't know how that would work on me - I haven't tried it myself! But if someone else wants to give it a whirl and report back I would love to hear how it went!

ammiaammia
posted 4 months 2 weeks ago
I did already do the coffee thing but didn't know about the others

bridgetbridget
posted 2 months 3 weeks ago

Shree1990 said:
These are really good ideas. I normally use mine for scrubbing my body, but I guess I can mix the excess in the soil.
This is very interesting! I guess I'm going to try this!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews