Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Maternity grant

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 9 years 10 months ago
Hi, we are on a low income (and have the NHS exemption). Does anyone know when the time comes will we be entitled to a maternity grant? Or do they only give you this for your first child? I would have been entitled first time but didn't know about it then, second time we were on a higher income so didn't apply but our income is abit lower again now Shrug Not that I'm even pregnant yet LOL

AlexAlex Moderator
If you qualify for it you can get it from 29 weeks pregnant up until baby is 12 weeks (im sure that is right) When you do fall pregnant phoned and find out about it. I got mine when I was on SMP but then I was on my own aswell.

gypseygypsey
i got it i was with oh he wrks plus i was on maternity pay from wrk

RichRich Moderator
it's 11 weeks before the baby is due that you can apply for this grant. Smile we are almost at the point of applying now.

soupsoup
where do you apply ?

Monkey

SeaThreePeeOSeaThreePeeO
Your local benefits or jobcentre plus will be more then happy to supply the forms for you and even help you fill them in. Don't forget to get your midwife to sign them though.

As Rich has said you can apply from 11 weeks until your due date and until the child is 12 weeks old.

You are entitled to a maternity grant for each child you have whilst on a low income. So if you claimed for your first and are now epceting again you can claim again. If that makes any sense.

soupsoup
yes

i wont get it as i dont get any help but MIL is insistant that anyone can get it

so i told her i would look into it

GTTkelGTTkel

SeaThreePeeO said:

You are entitled to a maternity grant for each child you have whilst on a low income.

Ah cool that's what I wanted to know, because although we have plenty of hand me downs some things are abit too worn now having already been used for two babies. Plus I sold a few bits ages ago when I thought I was going to stop at 2.

RichRich Moderator

soup said:
where do you apply ?

Monkey

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/W...v_013950.xml.html

for info Smile

LihraLihra
You are entilitled to 500 for each child even if you have twins or triplets

ellee1984ellee1984
i wasnt allowed to claim it cos i was working and my partner wasnt working and they told me i wasnt eligible for it.

LihraLihra
You either need to be on income support, Job seekers, or child tax/ working tax lower than the family income (ie you get £500 a mnth tax credits and only earn £300)

Hope thats some help

LihraLihra
You either need to be on income support, Job seekers, or child tax/ working tax lower than the family income (ie you get £500 a mnth tax credits and only earn £300)

Hope thats some help

jo-jojo-jo
I cant believe how different it is over there with maternity payments it makes me think we have it way to easy over here. Shrug

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews