Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Joseph's appointment is through

AlexAlex Moderator
posted 9 years 9 months ago
for his bronchoscopy. Sad

Thursday 18th Sept. I just got the leeter today but they havent wasted any time though. We have to report at 8am Shocked and the hospital is a 90minute drive away!!!! They will be giving him a general anaesthetic (and red today that red heads need more to kncok them out than other people Crying ) so he will not be allowed to eat or drink from midnight the night before, Im not worried about telling him he can't eat but Joseph is like me and he always has a big drink in the morning when he wakes up. Mum is going to come with me so I am not pacing hosptial floors alone (joys of being a single mummy Sad )

My problem is how much to I tell him? Because I know him and know what he is like I would want to tell him everything so he knows what to expect but the hospital admissions book says not to as you will overwhelm your child and make their hosptial experience more frightening that it will be already.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
Hun, I would tell him that he's going to have a little poke and then he will go to sleep for a bit and have nice dreams while they check out some things inside him... I would try your best not to worry (or try to hide it really well) because he will sense your anticipation! Hug

I'd explain to him that he can't eat or drink anything because it would make his tummy upset and he can't throw up while he's sleeping... These are the things I told Aaralyn and she was really ok with every thing, until she saw the big ct scan machine, and then the nurse did a horrible job of getting the iv in her, but anyway, you'll have a great staff and they will help make you feel better about things too.

Have a nice special treat ready for Joseph when he wakes up and expect him to be very wobbly and out of it for a while. Aaralyn thought she could walk about an hour after she came out of her anestesia and her knees buckled Love poor thing.

It will all be ok, just trying to give you a pretty good idea of what it will be like so you'll be prepared. Bring tissues in your purse Hug but Joseph will be totally fine through it Yes

Hug

angelsmomangelsmom
im a red head and have had anastetics(sp?) once or twice and am pretty sure i havent had to have extra, tho i have heard that before to.
i would say if he asks tell him, maybe sugar coat it a lil but i think kids know when you lie.

i know its not that same thing but casey has alot of trouble when i go in to hospital for anything, i just tell her whats going on and what its for (she knows mammy has a poorly head).

i hope it all goes well for joseph and you.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Well at least it will soon be over hun and hopefully they will find a reason for Josephs problems. I'm sure he will be fine hun. I'd try to answer any questions he has honestly but in a way he will understand. Tammy's explanation sounds good to me Thumbs Up. This will give you the answers you have been looking for hun Hug Xx

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
awwwww hun. im sure everything will be ok. you just need to be strong for him.

i never knew that about redheads and im a redhead Shrug

AlexAlex Moderator

staceyb said:
awwwww hun. im sure everything will be ok. you just need to be strong for him.

i never knew that about redheads and im a redhead Shrug

Neither did I. It was something in the paper today that my dad read to me.

soupsoup
i would probably just go over the basics

dont mention the drink in the morning just be busy getting ready etc etc if he does ask just say the doctor said you have to wait honey you can have one later

they will probably explain it to him aswell Smile in a nice kid-friendly way

jo-jojo-jo
AWWWWWWWWWWW give Joseph a huge hug from us all,and one for you to hun Hug .
I was a mess when Vic had his operation i cried when they put him under and they wheeled him into theater Embarassed
Just be there for him with a smile on ya face when he wakes up coz all he will want is his mummy Love
Vic said the most crazyest things when he was waking up from the op and he kept laughing. Love

candgsmumcandgsmum
I think what Tammy has said is good hun.
Hug Hug xx

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews