Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Internal scans - what to expect?

virgogirlvirgogirl
posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hi
I am nine and a half weeks pregnant and Dr has suggested I have an internal scan. I have has 2 ultrasounds already although not much could be seen apart from the sac. I live in portugal and it all seems to be done differently here and the Dr i have been seeing is being very vague about everything. Not asked me any questions, checked BP or worked out dates (I have done that myself) Has anyone had an internal around this time? Would love to know what to expect ie how long does it last, what happens and what can be seen etc

Cheers all

Mandy

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
I thought they only did internal scans if there was a problem but I never had one until right before I had her so I'm not really sure.

I'm surprised they have done 2 ultrasounds already too, is there a problem with your pregnancy? It must be awful to have such a Dr! I wish I could be more help to you hun, I'm sorry! Hug

Keep us updated on how things are going ok!

virgogirlvirgogirl
No problems with pregnancy as far as i know and Dr doesn't seem concerned about anything. He's just very laid back but that doesn't give me too much confidence! The only advice he's given me is don't go waterskiing! Der! Think I need to find another Doc - am looking into it!
Thanks for your reply - will let you know how things progress

Mandy Smile

kristagkristag
As Hapydazy said, I think most times it's done when there are problems and it's very early on.

I had internal scans (I'm in the UK) with this baby and last year when I had a MC. They are done that way because it's hard to see much externally until about 12 weeks apparently.

My scans took about 5 minutes at most and they insert a little tube like scanner inside you - or they ask you if you'd prefer to do it yourself - with a kind of 'condom' cover on it. They then just move it around to see your ovaries and the sac/embryo. It's not really uncomfortable or anything - no more so that using a tampon Smile

It sounds like you should get another doctor or a 2nd opinion. Is this common practice to have had so many scans at this stage in Portugal or have you had a MC before?

Good luck with it anyway Smile

AlexAlex Moderator
I had an internal scan because when I went for my '12week' scan they couldnt see anything. I was then given an internal scan and it was discovered I was only 9weeks gone.

It is nothing to worry about, they scan tool is no bigger than the tool they use for a smear test and they lube it loads. The worst bit is showing everything to a stranger but as you are pregnant you have to get used to that.

It last about 5 minutes and they see loads. I got some good pictures from my scan

candgsmumcandgsmum
I had one too due to bleeding very early on, also after pregnancy to check out a cyst. Maybe they date earlier on in Portugal, and do it that way?

It isn't to uncomfortable hun, hope it goes well x

glowingsunglowingsun
What a crackerbox. If there is a problem you have every right to know. If there is no problem he doesn't need to stick anything up there.
I go and get a second opinion or go find a different doc all together.

virgogirlvirgogirl
I think its just done a different way here - the Dr has all the scan equipment in his room so he just does them there and then while you are there.
But I am going to see someone else as i just don't feel in good hands with this guy. Maybe they date differently too - i just don't know as nothing has been explained. This is my first pregnancy so its all confusing.
Anyway thanks everyone for all your replys. Nice to know its not just me being over cautious

Have a great weekend

Mandy

jo-jojo-jo
I had an internal at my first ante natal appointment with my first pregnancy (this time i didnt??).My gyno told me it was just to check that everything was growing/moving normaly to accomedate the baby.I think i was about 8/12 weeks pregnant.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews