Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Toddler watches too much TV!

beesneedsbeesneeds
posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hiya just looking for some advice.
My son has just turned 3 and I also have a 3 month old baby boy. I feel guilty as I use the TV as a baby sitter, and having all his fave programmes on sky + means he can watch what he wants when he wants. If I'm feeding or changing baby he watches tv, if I'm doing house work, cooking he wantches tv. Basically it is on all day, he even watches Eastenders with me and runs out of the room when Sean comes on!
Any ideas what I can do with him, I do spend a little time with him playing with his toys, or take him out if the weather is nice. But sometimes by the time I get all 3 of us ready to go, its almost lunchtime, so I think lets have lunch, then its babys feedtime then he needs a change etc by then time just runs away with me and its gone 4pm and I still have to do dinner so I put the tv on again and so go round in circles and then its too late to go out! I do feel really guilty and feel I don't spend any quality time with him, because i'm always running around doing stuff.
I would be grateful if you have any great ideas.
Thanks

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Hi hun, Sorry i don't have many ideas for you. Wanted to say, don't feel guilty though Bad! . You are doing your best and i'm sure there isn't one mum on here that hasn't used the tv as a babysitter at some point Yes ! My DD has watched far too much tv over the summer holidays as the weather has been so rubbish. Couldn't take her to the beach/park and all the indoor things are packed and expensive!
I know what it is like with a toddler and a baby. . . it's hard work! and you are doing well just to get dressed before lunchtime! haha.
Maybe think of joining some mother and baby/toddler groups. We go to a few (when it's not hols) and i have made a few friends. The kids have fun and i get to gossip. The tv is nowhere in sight and lolly is knackered and ready for a nap when we get home (yay!) Thumbs Up It also gives you a reason to go out and is something you can all look forward to. Also helps with picking up tips of making things easier for yourself! Don't get yourself to down about it hun, things do get easier! Hug Xx

beesneedsbeesneeds
Thank you mum2popsnjak, we do have a baby and toddler group but it starts at 10.30am so I have been getting there late, and when we get there my son doesn't want to take part in the rhymes and actions and just wants to sit on my laps. I will try again next week and make an effort to get there on time or look for some afternoon ones. He starts nursery on the 25th Sept so hopefully that will keep his day busy (and mine!)

SeaThreePeeOSeaThreePeeO
I don't honestly think TV is as bad as they make it out to be. Amy (2) can count and speak a little in Spanish all thanks to Dora the Explorer. It has also helped her leanr her shapes, colours and numbers.

Don't forget that your baby will grow up quickly and soon you'll be able to do a lot more with both of that.

Last year Amy was a baby and I felt guilty as I was unable to do much or take Ana out like I used to.

glowingsunglowingsun
On nice days why don't you pack a pinic lunch? You don't have to have a family outing everyday. Do you live in a house or an apt. If you live in a house bring out some outdoor toys and let your tot run around the backyard. If you live in a n apt. that can be a bit tricky. I wouldn't feel too bad letting him watch t.v. My daughter watches quite a bit of it herself and, like you, my t.v is always on. Just be careful of what he watches. I like to think of the t.v as a story teller with moving pictures. Activate the closed captions and try to read the shows to him and voila, your spending time with him watching his favorite shows and reading to him. Try tuning into the discovery kids channel or animal planet or whatever you get over there.
Good luck and stop feeling so bad, your a good parent.

SeaThreePeeOSeaThreePeeO
Myself and Ana are most annoyed as we no longer receive Discovery Kids! It was our favourite channel!

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak

beesneeds said:
Thank you mum2popsnjak, we do have a baby and toddler group but it starts at 10.30am so I have been getting there late, and when we get there my son doesn't want to take part in the rhymes and actions and just wants to sit on my laps. I will try again next week and make an effort to get there on time or look for some afternoon ones. He starts nursery on the 25th Sept so hopefully that will keep his day busy (and mine!)

I'm sure starting nursery will help fill his day and you won't be fraught with him as you will have had a break too Thumbs Up .
It is difficult to get to morning sesions when you have a little tiny one. Mine starts at 10am so i know sometimes you just don't feel like getting sorted, but i found it helped me get into a good routine, having something to make me go out.
As for the not wanting to join in with the rhymes and actions. It sounds as though yours is a bit more structured than mine? Which can be a good thing. I wouldn't worry about it, we also go to a tumble tots session once a week and it took lolly 6 weeks to even attempt joining in with the warm up singing and actions Rolling Eyes ! She loves it now though, so i think perseverance in the key.
Have a look and see if there are any other sessions around that you can join in with too? I never realised how many things there are around for mums and toddlers until i started looking Yes . You do have to find a lot of this stuff out yourself though as the hv don't seem to inform you of much? Or maybe that is just mine? Shrug
Hope you have a better week next week hun. The time really does just fly and you will wonder why you were so stressed about it all in a few more weeks! Hug Xx

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews