Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

dentist hygenists say stay away from milk?

glowingsunglowingsun
posted 9 years 5 months ago
Years ago, when I was going to a youth Parent school, 2 dental hygenist students came to the school to take about how so many kids have tooth decay. After watching a disturbingly painful video about a boy who had to have all his fornt teeth surgically removed, the dental students told us not to give our kids milk. Just eat cheese. i bravely spoke up and questioned this advice and as I ignored one other girl's defense for no milk, the students couldn't give me any other answer than "thats just what we were told. Milk rots kids teeth."
O.k, I understand this could happen if you never brush your tot's teeth, but isn't staying away from milk a little extreme?

RichieRichie
Well considering milk is the best thing for calcium and calcium helps strengthen teeth isn't that a little hypocritical?

eamesy88eamesy88
- My blog
Also milk is a child's first food as such what would you give them then at newborn

RichieRichie
Water obviously

eamesy88eamesy88
- My blog
boring LOL hasnt got the goodness as much, they would prob try encouraging breast feeding more as it is more natural and they would prob try find a reason round that one as its still milk

RichieRichie
So what exactly do they think the bodily function of producing milk is for then!

glowingsunglowingsun
I don't know what they were think. But you gotta remember that this is a school for young parents. They tried to take advantage of us by thinking we're not smart enough and believe anything they say.

candgsmumcandgsmum
I have heard that cows milk can rot teeth(unsure about formula and breast milk) but children are advised from the age of 1 to drink at least a pint plus other calcium foods on top. It is just advised to make sure you brush their teeth at least twice a day and regular dental check-ups.

ellee1984ellee1984
i have heard something similiar but it wasnt about teeth it was that cows milk actually weaken the bones and not strengthens them like many people believe i dont personally drink milk and thats by my choice and im going to give izzy the choice as well when she is old enough to decide but i havent drunk milk in nearly 14 years i was about 10/11 when i stopped drinking it and i actually tried it a couple of years ago and it gave me severe stomach cramps but im a cheese monster i love my cheese and yoghurts so im getting my calcuim in other forms which is why i think my parents let me stop drinking milk

glowingsunglowingsun

ellee1984 said:
i have heard something similiar but it wasnt about teeth it was that cows milk actually weaken the bones and not strengthens them like many people believe i dont personally drink milk and thats by my choice and im going to give izzy the choice as well when she is old enough to decide but i havent drunk milk in nearly 14 years i was about 10/11 when i stopped drinking it and i actually tried it a couple of years ago and it gave me severe stomach cramps but im a cheese monster i love my cheese and yoghurts so im getting my calcuim in other forms which is why i think my parents let me stop drinking milk

That is so weird you said that. I get extreme stomach aches when I drink milk first thing in the morning. I think, maybe people are becoming more intolerable to cows milk.

Goats milk is supposed to be the next best thing for you. Where do you get it?

ellee1984ellee1984
not sure you should be able to get cows milk alternatives in your local supermarket in the same aisle as cows milk if not youd probably have to go to a health shop place. i never tried goats milk but i have tried goats cheese and i love that

jo-jojo-jo
WOW this is the first i ever hear about this.In Australia they encourage children and adults to keep drinking milk,the only thing we got told "not to do"is let our children fall asleep with there milk bottles in there mouths and to give them a drink of water after there last bottle in the evening.
Oh also not to add flavours chocolate etc.??? Shrug

candgsmumcandgsmum
I think milk is mainly a needed in a young childs diet for the fat content as well as the calcium.

glowingsunglowingsun

jo-jo said:
WOW this is the first i ever hear about this.In Australia they encourage children and adults to keep drinking milk,the only thing we got told "not to do"is let our children fall asleep with there milk bottles in there mouths and to give them a drink of water after there last bottle in the evening.
Oh also not to add flavours chocolate etc.??? Shrug

Actually, I've read in parent magazines and milk ads that adding flavor is O.K. SOme kids don't like the taste of plain milk and parents have to find a way to get them to drink it.

Your right. You never let a baby sleep with a bottle in there mouth. Unfortunatly some younger moms do that because it was recommended by a friend.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews