Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

VBA2C- need any advice you can give!

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 9 years 3 months ago
I had my son and daughter by c-section, last one was 5 years ago- just wondering if anyone on here can tell me how I should go about convincing the docs at chosen hospital into letting me try for a natural birth? I know one of the girls on here was in a magazine recently but although I kept a lookout for it I missed it somehow. I know it's probably down to whether or not the hospital policy allows it, would have thought that a big hospital with emergency procedures in place would be OK- will take it up with MW on 3rd sept but would she know?

So don't want a C-section again!! Sad

Lou x


angelsmomangelsmom
posted 9 years 3 months ago
i had a VBAC tho after only 1. my MW and consultants were all for it.
i think it would depend on why you had the 2 sections.
i enjoyed my VBAC hated the fact that i had a section and was determind not to have another.
it think if u talk to your MW and tell her how you feel she should help you with the info you need and hopefully to getting the birth experience you want.

SeaThreePeeOSeaThreePeeO
posted 9 years 3 months ago
It depends on the reasons for you having your 2 previous c sections and your medical history as to whether you will be offered the VBAC option.

For example, I had my eldest daughter by emergency c section due to 'a failure to progress' which meant I never dilated past 9cm and because Ana was presenting face forward.

It was decided that this was unlikely to occur again so I was advised to go for a VBAC birth when expecting my second daughter. However at 9 days overdue Amy was eventually born via elective c section. At that point it was discovered that I have a problem with my cervix, it simply doesn't dilate properly. So I have been told any future children will be born via c section and I will not be given the option of VBAC.

Of course your MW and doctor can only suggest to you which type of birth you should try for, they cannot force you either way. Bring up the subject with your MW on your next appointment and take it from there.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hi hun. I agree with all that has been said so far. Thumbs Up I had a VBAC with DS. My DD was born via emergence section due to possible fetal distress. As this isn't a problem that will necessarily happen again my mw and consultant were happy to support me in a VBAC. However although i was desperate to try for a vaginal birth it was more because i am petrified of hospitals and wanted to have to stay in one for as little time as possible. Having a natural birth normally means an earlier discharge. But it is important to remember that however your next LO is born as long as it arrives safely and healthily that is all that matters, and does not mean you are a failure because you haven't done it vaginally. (this was how my friend felt after her c-section). Also, you are entitled to choose any birth you want whatever your midwife says and if you want to try for a 'natural' birth whatever the professionals say that is your perogative, although you may need to find a midwife that is willing to support you which may not be at your local hospital? Good luck hun, i hope your MW can fill you in on what to expect Xx

jo-jojo-jo
posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hey hun,i agree with what all everyone has said,I had my first c-sec as my son was extreme breech.This time my gyno wanted me to have a c-sec as he thought i was going to have complications and my midwife was telling me to go natural so i was very confused.I ended up going naturaly and early (i didnt have time to blink and he came out LOL)
I would just speak to your gyno/midwife and see what they can offer and why they want you to have a c-section.Goodluck.xx

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 9 years 3 months ago
I had high blood pressure with James but only at end of pregnancy (when I went over), Gemma was in distress (blood pressure had started to rise but went down by itself)- I think I'll be OK as the hospital I plan to go to is a major one with all facilities. Fingers crossed!

soupsoup
posted 9 years 3 months ago
good luck

they should accomodate your wishes for a vbac

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hope so, just been reading up on internet- think I would be considered for a VBAC... just gotta go in there and put my foot down! I would have a cs if either baby or me at risk but I think enough time has passed for me to be a minimal rupture risk anyway. Unsure

angelsmomangelsmom
posted 9 years 3 months ago
i had my c-sec with casey coz i had pre-eclampsia and she was breech. my consultant was pretty much adamant i wouldnt get pre-eclampsia with hayden and they would check me at 36 weeks that he wasnt breech.

LihraLihra
posted 9 years 3 months ago
When i had my twins all the consultants told me i had to have a c-sec and the midwives but after having my first natural i put my foot down and said unless there were complications i was doing it natural so my consultant said i should find someone else so i found a lovely lady who was willing to support me whatever. With the condition that i had a theatre preped and ready and 2 pead's with me.

Well it turned out i gave birth sop quickly the theatre wasn't ready if i had needed it and the pead's didnt have time to get down to me.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search forums

Latest Reviews