Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

Any mom been given high chance of Down's?

posted 1 decade 5 years ago
Hi im a mom of 2 , im 41 and discovered im pregnant. Went for a scan to check how far and was told the foetus had a nuchal translucency( skin fold) at the back of its neck and below, with a measurement of 3.8. I was 10 wks and 1 day. Told to go for a cvs, so had to wait until last friday, when i was 11wks for the test. The measurement went down to 2.2 but obviously in relation to its growth they were still worried and the statistic they gave us was a 1:18 chance of it having a problem, probably downs. The risk is so high because of my age also. Im now doing more waiting for that inevitable phonecall, she said probably tuesday. We have talked about the results and have decided not to continue with the pregnancy if the results are positive. Just wondered if anyone has any words of wisdom for me/. x x:\?

posted 1 decade 5 years ago
Aww that must be really hard for you hun. I'm afraid i don't have any words of wisdom for you. I think you have to make a decision, given all the facts that is right for you and your family. However i wouldn't write the pregnancy off completely until you have all the facts. You never know, all could come back fine? I have my fingers crossed for you and you much luck and send huge Kiss Xx

posted 1 decade 5 years ago
yes... my daughter was checked at 18 weeks with the triple test bloods and her result was 1 in 25 chance of possible abnormaility, i was 30 and in a "high risk" category for Downs.

I had an emergency scan and then was offered the amniocenetis (sp?) anyways, we had to wait will i was 22 weeks, then i was given the scan, waited 3 weeks for the results, luckily it turned out that she was fine, but yes i understand what pressure you are under.

good luck and i hope that your baby turns out to be a healthy one. You have my besdt wishes

posted 1 decade 5 years ago
Yes with my first baby I was high risk, I was only 21 at the time so my risk should have been 1 in 1,135 but my actual risk was 1 in 31! I was sent to Kings College Hospital in London with risks of my baby having Down's, a heart defect or major organs that would not develop properly. At the hospital I had Cardio and Neurological scans on my baby to try and detect any major abnormalities. I then had to go back 5 weeks later to have it all done again as they were still uncertain and unable to see everything they were looking for but eventually they said they couldn't say that everything was 100% fine but that they COULD NOT SEE any abnormalities. They wanted me to have Amniocentises but I refused as I would have kept my baby even if she had had Down's, I would only have aborted if she had had a really serious problem which would leave her with no quality of life. Some of the doctors were understanding of my decision but one in particular was abit nasty and thought I was only refusing the Amnio' test because I was scared it would hurt. It took my husband to be quite firm with her before she'd back off, but what would have been the point having it done if it wouldn't affect my decision of having the baby or not.
I hope it works out the way you want it to but if the worst does happen and there is something really wrong you have to do what is best for you and the family you already have. For me Downs would not be enough to end the pregnancy but I understand and respect that some people feel differently.
I should add she was born with nothing wrong and my son was very low risk and born fine too.

posted 1 decade 5 years ago
I've not personally, but my MIL had a high chance and she had an amnio but everything came back fine and also a lady at work has very recently been through the same thing and she also had an amnio but again everything came back fine.


Join JustParents for free to reply


Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews