Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Milk change predicament?

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
posted 9 years 6 months ago
Jake my 6mth old is currently on SMA gold and has been since i started mixed feeding him at a few days old (couldn't produce enough breastmilk to satisfy him) He is perfectly happy on this milk and is currently having 3 7oz bottles a day aswell as 3 small meals a day. My problem is that the price has recently gone up again to £7.20 for 900g. I am considering changing him to Hipp Organic which is over £1.20 a tin cheaper for the same quantity and i am assuming it is the same quality as the more expensive brands. To be honest it shocked me as i always assumed organic milk would be more expensive. I realise to some people this sounds bad just to change him because of price but this is quite a difference to us. I don't want to upset his little tummy though, especially as he is settled on the SMA. Do you think it would be ok to try the Hipp or should i just leave alone and stay with the SMA? Sorrry for waffling on! Xx

ellee1984ellee1984
i had to change izzys milk when she was a few months old. she was also on sma gold and shed take a full bottle and then bring most of it back up so i moved her to cow and gate and she was fine and didnt bring it back up at all. so slightly different reasons as to why i had to change. maybe try him on a day of those little bottles of it you can get ready made and see how he takes to it thats what we had to do when we moved izzy to cow and gate and if he dont take it to go back to the sma

LihraLihra
THIS IS NOT MENT TO SCARE YOU!!!!

I also feel the pinch on baby milk but after the following incident i dont care if it cost £500 a tin of milk..

i myself went from SMA gold to Farleys on the 17th febuary the next morning i woke up to find my daughter not breathing. They HAVEN'T proved this was the cause but on the same point thay have not disproved this so that has put me of every trying a differant milk.

as stated above this is NOT ment to scare you!!!!

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Oh my god, that's terrible! I hope your LO was ok? That must have been sooooo scary for you!

sugarsugar Moderator
u should stick to the same forumla where possible hun!
I had thomas on sma gold when he was born but it made him constipated so i switched to C&G without any trouble.
You could put ur LO on SMA progress now i think thats slightly cheaper?

candgsmumcandgsmum
I stuck to the SMA gold with Charlotte even though it made her constipated, HV advice! I was to give her more water, even after explaining she wouldn't take water. When she was switched to cows milk she was loads better, so sometimes its worth changing.

With George, SMA was no good (i mix fed him for 3 weeks) and I assumed this was at first the reason he didn't keep his feeds down, after a month of being purely on SMA and he still vomitting up his feed, I swapped him to cow and gate comfort which was great (although still a little sick) at 4 months I had to stick him on the step 2 (hungry baby, blue milk) because the formula wasn't substantial enough and he was getting through 10 bottles a day Shocked. at 6 months I changed to follow on because he was weaning, I tried him on Farleys (as it was so much cheaper) but again he vomitted after the feeds so put him on SMA progress which he was surprising fine on.

I had to pay more for the comfort, I think a tin of SMA was about £6 and the comfort was about £7/£8.

I'm shocked at how much it costs for formula these days, when I had Charlotte it was about a fiver a tin!!!!

I think sugar is right about maybe trying him on the progress, I switched both mine at 6 months onto it.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Thanks for all your replies guys. I feel really bad for thinking of changing him. It's just with all the price hikes (petrol, shopping, electric etc)i could do with a break. as i'm sure a lot of you could. I will have a look at the progress but maybe i should just keep him where he is for now! Xx

LihraLihra

mum2popsnjak said:
Oh my god, that's terrible! I hope your LO was ok? That must have been sooooo scary for you!

She acyually passed away later that day

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Oh how awful, Am so sorry to hear that! Xx

candgsmumcandgsmum
posted 9 years 5 months ago

mum2popsnjak said:
Thanks for all your replies guys. I feel really bad for thinking of changing him. It's just with all the price hikes (petrol, shopping, electric etc)i could do with a break. as i'm sure a lot of you could. I will have a look at the progress but maybe i should just keep him where he is for now! Xx

Don't feel bad hun, I tried the cheaper stuff, it just didn't agree with George. Hug

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews