Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

can i take cold tablets

mum2be-feb09mum2be-feb09
posted 9 years 4 months ago
hi all just a quick question. im 9 weeks pg and i have a bad cold and a throbbin headache and feel really bad. can i take cold tablets and headache pills i dont wont to take any as im not sure if it will hurt my baby as i am only 9 weeks. Sad

JOJOJOJO
all I know is that you can take paracetamol,think its safe to use lockets and stuff and hot lemmon drinks but not sure about the rest

bunnigirlbunnigirl
u have to be carful with anything that contains asprin babe paracetamol if ok in moderation but u could always call nhs direct and ask them babe but i no asprin and anything with it in is a no no as it can cause mc i do believe

good luck babe hope u feel better soon

xxxx

LucyLucy
i think its the decongestant thats the problem try honey and lemon or go to the chemist theyll be able to tell you what you can or cannot take

bellasmumbellasmum
Got the following info from here.

Pain such as headache or backache

Try non-drug methods first. A head massage can help relieve headache, while backache can be eased by gentle stretching to relieve tight muscles, or a soak in a warm bath.

Paracetamol is generally regarded as safe for short-term use in all three trimesters. It is widely used in all stages of pregnancy for pain relief and reducing fever.

Aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen are not recommended during pregnancy, as there are safer alternatives available. They should particularly be avoided in the last trimester, because they can delay labour, increase the length of labour and cause complications in the newborn baby. Painkilling doses of aspirin can also increase the risk of bleeding in the mother and baby if taken in the third trimester. Evidence suggests these medicines should also be avoided in the first trimester and by women attempting to conceive, as they may increase the risk of miscarriage or malformations.

Codeine and dihydrocodeine can affect the baby's breathing if taken in the last trimester, or during labour in large amounts. Heavy use may also cause a withdrawal syndrome in the newborn infant. However, small doses for a short period of time to treat specific pain can be taken in the first and second trimesters, but only on the advice of a doctor. Be aware that some over-the-counter painkillers contain codeine or dihydrocodeine. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicines during pregnancy.

Hay fever and allergies

For hay fever, first try as much as possible to reduce your exposure to the allergens that trigger it.

If this isn't possible, you can safely use sodium cromoglicate nasal spray or eye drops in all three trimesters.

Alternatively, short-term use of nasal sprays containing corticosteroids such as beclometasone is unlikely to cause any harm. With long-term use sufficient can be absorbed to impair the growth of the baby, so these should only be used after discussing any risks with your doctor or pharmacist.

Products containing antihistamines, such as brompheniramine, meclozine, diphenhydramine, doxylamine, cetirizine and loratadine should generally be avoided, as there is insufficient information about their safety. However, chlorphenamine is generally considered safe to take during all three trimesters, if the measures mentioned above fail. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicines during pregnancy.

Antihistamine nasal sprays and eye drops should be avoided.

Nasal decongestants, such as pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, xylometazoline, oxymetazoline should also be avoided as there is insufficient evidence of their safety. Steam inhalations should provide some relief from nasal congestion.

Coughs and colds

Cough and cold remedies often contain a combination of several ingredients, including painkillers, antihistamines and decongestants (see above), so it is important to make sure that each ingredient is safe before taking them. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicines during pregnancy.

The cough expectorant guaifenesin to help loosen a chesty cough can be used, though drinking lots of water is just as effective for this. You could also try using steam inhalations to help liquify mucus and make it easier to cough up. Cough medicines containing iodine as an expectorant should be avoided, as the iodine can impair the functioning of the baby's thyroid gland.

The cough suppressant dextromethorphan has been in widespread use and is generally considered safe to use during pregnancy, providing it is only taken for short periods of time and using the smallest dose possible. However, it is probably best to avoid it in the first trimester. Cough suppressants containing codeine should be avoided in the third trimester.

Soothing cough mixtures such as simple linctus, or sucking lozenges containing honey or glycerol to coat the throat, are the safest option to reduce coughing. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicines during pregnancy.

ellee1984ellee1984
i suffer from really bad hayfever and i asked my doctor before i took any hayfever products and he told me that the companies put that on the leaflets as they arent able to test the affects on pregnant women (who would be willing put themselves up for tests when they are pregnant?) and told me that my hayfever nasal spray was fine to use. id just say ask you doctor or your pharamist when you go to the chemist to buy flu remedies the pharamist will be able to advise you what to take and what to avoid and at the end of the day its at your own discresion whether or not you want to "risk" it

daisy33daisy33
Hope you feel better soon

Think Bellasman covered it all hon

sending you Hug

x

bunnigirlbunnigirl

daisy33 said:
Hope you feel better soon

Think Bellasman covered it all hon

sending you Hug