Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Toileting dilemna - help!

Nicki_SueNicki_Sue
posted 9 years 11 months ago
Kieran started using the potty when he was around 18month (for weeing), he would ask for it and what not which I was very impressed with, then in Feb we moved house and he flatly refuse to sit on either potty or the toilet. We've stepped back and let him have a few months to readjust and are re-introducing it again, he will do the odd wee but nothing else. This isnta problem in itself BUT hes taking his pull-ups off all the time, THEN weeing or pooing (cot/floor), or he does it THEN takes the nappy off and shouts "Yucky" so me to clean it away (and him up!). Asides from the fact I have spend our life saving on carpet cleaner LOL, he has started getting a very nasty bum. Hes 2 now (just turned), and his wee/poo really does want to be in a potty/loo! Any advice/routine MUCH appreciated as his bum is awful and the whole thing is clearly distressing him. Frustrated

LucyLucy

Nicki_Sue said:
Kieran started using the potty when he was around 18month (for weeing), he would ask for it and what not which I was very impressed with, then in Feb we moved house and he flatly refuse to sit on either potty or the toilet. We've stepped back and let him have a few months to readjust and are re-introducing it again, he will do the odd wee but nothing else. This isnta problem in itself BUT hes taking his pull-ups off all the time, THEN weeing or pooing (cot/floor), or he does it THEN takes the nappy off and shouts "Yucky" so me to clean it away (and him up!). Asides from the fact I have spend our life saving on carpet cleaner LOL, he has started getting a very nasty bum. Hes 2 now (just turned), and his wee/poo really does want to be in a potty/loo! Any advice/routine MUCH appreciated as his bum is awful and the whole thing is clearly distressing him. Frustrated

I personally would take away the pullups and replace with proper pants.

Have a good pile of them and spend a few days at home with him. Ok, so hes not wanting to use the potty, but he knows when hes wet and dirty, so you can do it, hes ready.

The only other way is to say come on big boy time for the toilet and take him. Sit him down for 5 minutes and amuse him, then every hour take him again, and do this until hes in a good habit.

With Tom i would go out and take him to the loo just before we left, take the potty out with me just in case, then loo when we got to where we were going, loo again before we leave, loo when we got home and BINGO it worked.

If the feeling of dry is preferable over wet, youll conquer this in 2 maye 3 weeks.

Hes 2 and hes ready now. You can keep the pullups for bed they will be his bed pants, and no big boy wants bed pants in the day!!!

Gemma trained like this and she was dry at 18 months.

The weather is improving and you can do this at home pile of pants washing machine and nice weather the combination is good get rid of the pullups in the day and hes a big Boy, stickers work well too, i found that for every dry day no accidents then a sticker was in order, 7 stickers in a row, and a little present.

You could use stickers for short periods like 1 hr say 3 hrs dry and a toy or a biscuit or fruit that he likes. 4 hrs and special drink, 5 hrs and maybe a little toy, small steps.

Good luck and let me know how he goes

Nicki_SueNicki_Sue
Thank you Lucy! Thats very helpful. I'll keep you updated x x

LucyLucy

Nicki_Sue said:
Thank you Lucy! Thats very helpful. I'll keep you updated x x

no worries i hope that he gets the hang of it, sometimes it helps to do it it intensively because if you stop then hell regress, my nephew is 3 and hes not potty trained i wish my sister would pull her finger out as he cant go to pre-school until hes dry!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews