Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

high calorie foods

crystalpaulacrystalpaula
posted 9 years 7 months ago
does anyone hav any ideas of good higher in calorie food i can give to my soon the health visitor said to put suger on his ceral as he needs to boost his calorie intake hes a very fussy eater in 5 months he only went from 30 pounds and 10 onces to 30.15 hes just 14 kg and hes a very active boy. Neutral

JOJOJOJO
Increasing calories and protein:
Listed below are some ideas for adding calories and protein to foods that your child may eat for meals and snacks:

powdered milk (33 cal/Tbsp, 3 gm protein/tbsp):

Add 2 to 4 Tbsp to 1 cup milk.

Mix into puddings, potatoes, soups, ground meats, vegetables, cooked cereal, milkshakes, yogurt, and pancake batter.

eggs (80 cal/egg, 7 gm protein/egg) or egg substitute (Egg Beaters® 25 cal per 1/4 cup, 5 gm protein per 1/4 cup):

Add to casseroles, meat loaf, mashed potatoes, cooked cereal, macaroni and cheese, and chicken or tuna salads.

Add extra to french toast and pancake batter.
Do not use raw eggs in uncooked items. Egg substitutes may be used in uncooked items, such as milkshakes or eggnog.

butter or margarine (45 cal/tsp):

Add to pudding, casseroles, sandwiches, vegetables, cooked cereal, breads, and pasta.

cheeses (100 cal/oz., 7 gm protein/oz.):

Give as snacks, or in sandwiches.
Add to casseroles, potatoes, vegetables, and soups.

wheat germ (25 cal/Tbsp):

Add 1 to 2 Tbsp to cereal.
Mix into meat dishes, cookie batter, and casseroles.

mayonnaise or salad dressing (45 cal/tsp):

Use liberally on sandwiches, salads, as a dip for raw vegetables or sauce on cooked vegetables.

evaporated milk (25 cal/Tbsp, 1 gm protein/Tbsp):

Use in place of whole milk in desserts, baked goods, meat dishes, and cooked cereal.

sour cream (26 cal/Tbsp):

Add to potatoes, casseroles, and dips.
Use in sauces and baked goods.

sweetened condensed milk (60 cal/Tbsp, 1gm protein/Tbsp):

Add to pies, puddings, and milkshakes.
Mix 1 to 2 Tbsp with peanut butter and spread on toast.

peanut butter (95 cal/Tbsp, 4 gm protein/Tbsp):

Serve on toast, bagels, crackers, bananas, apples, and celery.

Carnation® Instant Breakfast™ (130 cal/pkt, 7 gm protein/pkt):

Add to milkshakes or milk.

gravies (40 cal/Tbsp):

Use liberally on mashed potatoes, rice, noodles, and meats.

crystalpaulacrystalpaula
thanks this is a Smile brilliant help.

JOJOJOJO
no problem I myself was a very underweight child and my son is also,just one good tip dont stress too much about food and dont make it a issue the more laid back you are the better,you can add those things to there food without knowing and if they eat it even better,also chocolate milkshakes,rice pudding and dairylee are also good

candgsmumcandgsmum
I had battles with the health visitor over my lad and she wanted me to 'feed him up' and feed him a load of junk to get him weighing a bit more so it would look better in his book Bad!

I used to make an avacado and banana yoghurt/smoothie for him just literally whizzed up a banana and an avacado in the blender and he loved it. He was fed hungry baby milk anyway as he did eat for britain (every 2hrs from newborn until he weaned Rolling Eyes )

Good luck hun, I think JOJO has got good tips for the extra calories, I also used proper butter for mash, on his toast etc.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews