Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Group B Strep and TTC

laineyklaineyk
posted 9 years 8 months ago
Hi, my hubbie and i had a beautiful baby girl Sophie in Feb 08, unfortunately Sophie had Group B Strep but it was not picked up by anyone and she passed away 2 days after she was born, for a while i was very angry that as new mums we were not told anything about this when i was pregnant although they give you leaflets and advice on loads of other stuff anyway we decided to try again straight away so have been trying for a couple of months now with no success although period was due yest but has not made an appearance yet, i am very worried about how i will feel second time round as i am still having bad days after losing Sophie, also i fell pregnant within first month with Sophie any adivce or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Elaine xx

candgsmumcandgsmum
Hun I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Hug

As far as I'm aware, they will monitor your group B strep and you will be given anti-biotics during your labour to prevent it being passed to your baby. Best of luck TTC hun x

kristagkristag
Just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear your news and wish you all the best trying again Hug Hug

Being pregnant myself, are there any signs/symptoms you need to look out for? Is it not found in a blood test?

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
Hi, welcome to JP!

I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss and wish you lots of luck for trying to conceive again... I'm sorry I don't have any advise otherwise Hug

GTTkelGTTkel
My heart goes out to you. I don't have any advice on your situation but I really hope it all works out in the future.

gypseygypsey
Hug Hug best of luck TTC

deejadeeja
posted 9 years 5 months ago
Im so sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful baby girl. This makes me so angry, I cannot believe they dont do routine testing in this country. I was a carrier of group b strep and i was one of the lucky ones my mw saw a tiny spec of blood in a routine urine sample a few days before i went into labour so i was monitored closely and put onto an antibiotic drip. We have just started TTC after mc at 7wks early last mth. I wish you lots and lots of luck getting pregnant soon. Im sure you have heard of it but you can get a free testing pack off the group b website so I will be testing myself and sending it off (at a cost of £30)if I get pg, and if the mw doesnt pick up group b this round. All the very best of luck to youxxxxxxxx

kristagkristag
I asked for the test at an antenatal appointment and they did it no problem and it was free. Apparently they told me they are happy to do it but it's not offered as routine - that seems a shame.

One lady from my NCT class is also positive for Group B Strep and said she is tested and monitored every 2 weeks and will have a drip when she goes into labour.

Hope all works well for you this time.

laineyklaineyk
Hi e1 and thank you for your replies.

I believe some health boards will test for GBS if you ask for it!!
Unfortunately where i am your lucky if doctors even know what it is!!
Sophie would have been six months old couple of weeks ago which has been murder all these milestones!

Just a note for any previous GBS carriers i believe that if you were identified as a GBS carrier pregnancy they will treat you as one for future pregnancy.

Testing is not accurate as apparently it can show positive and then later negative and vice versa. However im more than positive i would have paid for it if they had told me about it.

Good luck to all TTC and to those currently pregnant.

Exx

Sweetpea2020Sweetpea2020
Upset I am sooooo sorry for your loss!

kristagkristag

laineyk said:
Testing is not accurate as apparently it can show positive and then later negative and vice versa. However im more than positive i would have paid for it if they had told me about it.

Yes, they told me this too. Apparently you would need to be tested at least once a fortnight to get some kind of accurate results. I'm really amazed it's not a test that is automatically done for mothers-to-be, especially in the last few weeks of a pregnancy.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Hi. Just wanted to say how sorry i am for your loss. I was diagnosed as having GBS after a routine swab while i was in labour with my DD. She ended up being born bu emergency c-section after a very loong labour and possible fetal distress. 24hrs after she had been born they got the results back from the swab and my DD was put on intrevenous antibiotics as a precaution. She was fine afterwards and the culture didn't they tried to grow didn't shoe any GBS so they think she didn't pick it up as she didn't travel down the birth canal this may be why? When i went into labour with my DS i had to have intrevenous antibiotics as a precaution. I did however only have time for 1 dose and they like to give 2? But he was born fit and healthy so they let me go home. a week laster i was told the swab they took from his skin after he was born did show some GBS bacteria but that if he wasn't showing any signs of illness not to worry. They said as it was only showing on his skin it had probably just washed off? It scared the life out of me though and i watched him religiously for weeks afterwards. However luckily for me, all turned out to be fine. I'm sure when you have another baby they will monitor you properly. I just can't believe we choose not to test for this very common bacteria in our country? It makes me soooo mad! Take care Xx

lynslyns
Elaine welcome, I am so sorry that you lost your darling daughter Sophie, it saddens me greatly that m/w and drs can monitor so much and then other things they dont bother with, (in my case i have hypothyroid and should be watched but its only as i reaserched and requested it that it was done!) and feel safer in the knowledge that after your tragic loss they will have this on record and to make sure they keep a close eye on you
Good Luck TTC
Lins xox

daisy33daisy33
Really sorry to hear your sad news.

They will use a drip with anti biotics now for when you give birth out of precaution. Its the birth canal where it gets caught from. So if you have a c section pretty certain there is now way of this happening, so you could ask for one as they will not deny you.

Hope your having a better day today sending you Hug

x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews