Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Guardians/God parents

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 9 years 6 months ago
We are not a religious family and have not had the kids Christened, neither me or hubby are either. However I have a couple of really good special friends who adore the kids and the kids adore them and I want to make it sort of 'official' that they are an important part of the kids lives kind of like a God parent would be but in some kind of non-religious service or celebration. Does such a thing exist?

AlexAlex Moderator
what about a naming ceremony or something?

candgsmumcandgsmum
i know there's such things as naming ceromonies. I think it would be nice for my kids to have the same sort of thing also, but we are the same, don't really want to have them christened as we aren't particularly religious.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
I think it would be more of a legal thing... something to be put in your wills if something were to happen to both of you... I am the same way as far as not having "official" God Parents in the religious sense but I would want my sister and husband to be gaurdian to Aaralyn if I or her dad couldn't be there Sad

I've not done a will saying this and I know I should but it's a scary thing to face! I'm glad you've brought this up though as it brings it to the front of my mind and I know I need to get something in writing legally.

I'm not sure how the laws would work there with that if it would be different than here Shrug

candgsmumcandgsmum
Me and Martin don't have a will, we really need to get one.

kristagkristag
We aren't religious either but have selected two special friends named in our wills as Guardians for my daughter (and when bump arrives).

I don't know about naming ceremonies but perhaps just a nice gathering of friends and you guys making a little announcement about your children's guardians would be good? I think the only 'legal' way to get them agreed is in a Will though.

Hope you find a good solution Thumbs Up

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews