Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

feeding problems!

Toms_MumToms_Mum
posted 9 years 6 months ago
Can anyone offer any advice or help please, I am worrying now!

Thomas is 16 months and used to eat ok, but has never ever been fussed about food. He has never got upset if he sees me eating or wanted it and when I put him in his high chair at meal times and put food in front of him, even his favorites, he just looks at it for a while and picks very slowly at it as if he is not fussed if it is there or not!
He has been gaining weight but from the age of 8 or 9 months it is going on only very slowly!
Health visitor and docs say as long as the weight is not dropping and he is healthy and active, which he is, not to worry!

Now though, he barely eats half of his breakfast, not interested in mid morning snacks, only eats a few bits for lunch ie a quarter if that, of toast or whatever he has. Barely touches any fruit and snacks I give him during the afternoons, and doesnt even eat half of his dinners.

I have tried everything possible he could eat, he likes fish and potatoes but barely touches anything!!!! I leave plates of fruit everywhere when we are home and plates of anything for him to pick up and eat when he is hungry, because he must get hungry but he doesnt touch them.
Im so frustrated and worried sick.

Teresa x

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
Hun, I wouldn't worry too much, kids go through these stages. Maybe cut back on juices or drinks a little through out the day if he drinks alot that could be making his tummy feel full.

Aaralyn went through this (very briefly around Thomas's age) and has been a chow hound ever since Rolling Eyes She went through periods of growing very slow too and then would have spurts... she eats like crazy now and still hasn't reached 40 lbs at 5 years old! She's skinny but getting taller and her Dr says she's very healthy weight wise and I shouldn't worry either.

He'll probably be eating you out of house and home again soon Smile

Toms_MumToms_Mum
Hi.

Thats maybe the problem then, drinks filling him up. He went through a stage of not drinking anything a few months ago and me having to put extra water in things i cook like pureed fruit etc. Now he has a beaker of water with meals that he drinks and juices during the day, which he drinks.

Its so hard not to worry though as my mum keeps saying 'he is still tiny' when she sees him and shoves a cheese sandwich in his hand! which he doesnt eat either anyway LOL. Tell Off

Thanks!

Teresa x

LihraLihra
Hi my daughter was the same as Aaralyn and tom aswell at that age. try giving juice after a meal first thing in the morning and a lil before bed..

kids will always eat when they are hungry

Toms_MumToms_Mum
Thank you. Its good to know others go through the same and it is normal.
Your advise is good and a big help and much appreciated!
Teresa x Thumbs Up

crystalpaulacrystalpaula
hi i think as children get older there weight gain really slows down my daughter is 18 months and she is very fussy know but she never used 2 be proberlly your son makes up four not eating much on other days.i hav a son as well he is three and he has lost weight before then gaind it back

Toms_MumToms_Mum
Yes you are right crystalpaula, he has made up for it today actually and been a right piggy. He had a huge plate of meatballs in tomato sauce with spaghetti for lunch and cried when he ate the lot because he wanted more!!!!!
He has had all his weetabix at breakfast and MY fruit aswell. he has also had crisps today at nannies and allsorts throughout the day so far!!!

daisy33daisy33
Really sorry i can not help with this one. Have not reached that point yet as Harrison is only 23 weeks old!!!

I do know alot of my mates have told me there little toddlers do not seem to eat as much now. But when they really want it they will have it.

Paula

x

Toms_MumToms_Mum
I am learning not to worry quite so much about it now, after lots of good advice and Thomas clearly making up for it today and eating with a passion LOL, I have realised that he is healthy and happy (and certainly has loads of energy, he does not stop!!!!)that things must be ok.
I am sure over the next few months and years I will have other worse issues to worry about and be concerned over as no doubt we all do and will so i guess i can only say thanks and ....'Watch this space' for the next one LOL.

mcmummymcmummy
I know I'm probably just repeating what has been said but I really wouldn't worry. My son is exactly the same (and same age too!) He used to eat for England until a couple of months ago but now he's so fussy. He'll eat a decent brekfast and that's really his main meal of the day. I've always been told that toddlers will eat when they really want to. They won't starve. My mantra, where my kids are concerned, is 'It's just a phase' and it really is. It will pass. HTH

Toms_MumToms_Mum
Thanks everyone.

It is good to have this reassurance from you all.
I hope everyone is well and has had a great weekend.
Look forward to chatting soon.

Teresa x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews