Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Charlotte's nursery is going on strike!

candgsmumcandgsmum
posted 9 years 7 months ago
She must have been given the letter on Thursday but her grandma forgot to pass it on to me. My SIL has just text to tell me about the letter and apparently they can't go to nursery next Thursday because the teachers are on strike Confused

I'm not sure why as she couldn't find the letter when I rang Rolling Eyes but it is just the nursery that is striking not the rest of the school.

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
omg!! is it over pay?

candgsmumcandgsmum
I would assume so, she tried to send me a picture message of the letter but I couldn't read it, then she's gone and lost it Rolling Eyes

I've never heard of teachers going on strike tbh.

staceybstaceyb
- My blog
no me neither but hehehehehe at yr SIL taking a piccy of the letter x

candgsmumcandgsmum
LOL I know!! Bless her, I think she thought it was a good idea at the time Very Happy

Hayley_KevHayley_Kev
i understand high school teachers striking and whatever as they have it hard - yeh they get loadsa term holidays and things but even that isnt a break when your marking coursework/books/planning future lessons - what on earth can nursery teachers strike over! what hard work do they do LOL! i worked in a nursery as a helper for a few months when i very first left school - and you do nothing LOL!

JOJOJOJO
sounds a bit weird to me but might be over something else other than pay,but I am was a nursery nurse and understand how hard the job is plus all the ofsted paperwork and planning,just because its young children does not make it childsplay!

AlexAlex Moderator
there is going to be quite a few strikes in England/ Wales as I understand it all pay related. You night find it is the nursery teachers this week and school teachers another.

Nursery teachers do just as much (if not more) work than primary and secondary teachers.

There is planning to do (long term and the weekly play ideas)assessing each child and reporting, setting up and tidying up the nursery is not a 2 minute job!! there is also tranisition into school to be done, there are files to be kept for each child and school paperwork,ordering of materials, buying snacks (done in their own time), attending staff meetings, meeting parents, they also have many standards to meet, In Scotland nursery staff have 3 policies to work from : HMIe and care commisson (CC have 2 policies) they also have health and hygiene/ environmental health to keep happy.

And then they have displays etc to do in the nursery

and I have only touched on some of the things they have to do. working in nursery/primary is every bit as hard (if not harder in some ways) than secondary teaching.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
Aaralyn's pre-school teacher has a tough job, a room full of about 14 4/5 year olds, and they do actually school work, she has a very tough curriculum I think for her age group. I think it would be an extremely rewarding job and also very hard work.

Maybe it's for more benefits, I know the non primary school teachers and assistants make close to nothing here and get no benefits (health insurance, paid time off, ect...)

candgsmumcandgsmum
I got given the letter earlier and its to do with the national strike action.

catgirl_872catgirl_872
my college was on strike last wednesday, so that was nice for me Very Happy xxx

mummyheathmummyheath
- My blog
yea my lil bros primary school some of the teachers are going on strike on thurs and some of my sis high school teachers are aswell its to do with a union or something. its a big strike!!

catgirl_872catgirl_872

mummyheath said:
yea my lil bros primary school some of the teachers are going on strike on thurs and some of my sis high school teachers are aswell its to do with a union or something. its a big strike!!

yes it must be cus one of the girls in my class had her interview changed cus the uni was havin one too xxx

AlexAlex Moderator
its a union that are a striking so depending on what union the teachers belong to depends if the are striking- I think it is a BIG union in England

candgsmumcandgsmum
On Charlotte's letter it said the National Union of Teachers or something.

AlexAlex Moderator

candgsmum said:
On Charlotte's letter it said the National Union of Teachers or something.

Its the NUT ( I went and check the BBC) they are a big teachers union in England and Wales

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews