Join JustParents to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join for free

When did u put ur child in their own room?

StaceStace
posted 1 decade 3 years ago
When did you put your child in their own room? we still have our daughter(shes 11 month old) sleeping in our bedroom and people keep telling me i am makeing a rod for my own back. I can see what they mean but i am not comfortable with her sleeping in her own room yet. My husband wants her in her own room aswell, he said its about time we had our space back! I just want whats best for her. Confused

sugarsugar Moderator
We put DD in her own room at 6 months old and used monitors in our bedroom to listen out for her. She would have been in her own room sooner but we lived with in-laws and it was up to them to let us know if we could use the spare room as dds room - which we shuffled about and then used as dds room.
TBH i feel as young as possible they should go into their own room as it becomes harder for them to get used to sleping by themselves otherwise but u have to be strong when putting them into thier own room! our niece was in her own room from birth!

gemmagemma
katie from 4 months and abigail from 6 months.

and i agree the sooner the easier on everyone as they just see it as the norm.

StaceStace
thank you for your advice it seems everyone else is right! Teeth Kiss I thought of using the baby monitor! but i think my problem is,i keep making up excuses not to put her in her own room,im just an over cautious mam.

WkdblueWkdblue
George was in his own room at 6months. He only sleeps in with us when he's ill.

DanielleDanielle
My son was in his own room about 4 and half months old. We used baby monitor's, and although you are asleep you are kind of alert to your baby. Smile

Danielle x

staceyj18staceyj18
Finley was in his own room from about 3 and a half months/4 months. I found it better for us both because he wasnt disturbing me when he was stiring and i wasnt missing out on as much sleep so was more alert for him the next day. He's now 11 months old.

It depends on you hun, i get up, up to 6 times in the night to check on him but thats just me not being able to sleep until ive done so xx good luck x

staceyj18staceyj18
Finley was in his own room from about 3 and a half months/4 months. I found it better for us both because he wasnt disturbing me when he was stiring and i wasnt missing out on as much sleep so was more alert for him the next day. He's now 11 months old.

It depends on you hun, i get up, up to 6 times in the night to check on him but thats just me not being able to sleep until ive done so xx good luck x

sugarsugar Moderator
I do think you are always only partially asleep when u have young ones! Even now i wake up to dds every movement and shes in her own room and no monitors!
But when she was a baby and had monitors - everything woke me up! if she sneezed, coughed, turned over! xx

jellybeanjellybean
Cem has never slept in our bedroom, he went straight into his own room. We put a bed into his room and i slept in there for the first 5/6 months. Then i moved out. We felt it was best for Cem to always sleep in his own room. So at first he got used to it with me there for comfort. when he was around 5 months i would give him his last feed at about 5am and them go back into my own bed room. It also ment that if Cem had a bad night i was the only one disturbed which ment that DH was wide awake to take over in the morning whilst i had a lay in and court up on lost sleep.
After 6 months he had a monitor in his room.

If he is ill then i go sleep in his room rather than have him in our's. This has worked for us Cem has only ever slept in his own room and we have never had an problems with him not wanting to go to bed or waking up in the night distressed.

fourmumfourmum
Very happy My oldest DD and DS were in their own rooms from just a few weeks old but they are teens now and things were different then.My youngest DS was in with us until he was 18 months because we were having an extension built and he didn't have own room.He has always slept great so it didn't do him any harm.

moemoemoemoe
- My blog
i put my eldest rachel in her own room when she was two my youngest rosemarie stayed in my room till she was three and i havnt had any problems with her an shes seven now

AlexAlex Moderator
Joseph was about 6mths I think (i delayed putting him in because I moved house and he had health problems) I found he actually slept better in his own room and so did I

StaceStace
My daughter is in her own room tonight she settled pretty quick! an so far is still fast asleep. Very happy I just hope i can get some sleep tonight! I will proble do things differently next time round, if there is a next time! xx

AlexAlex Moderator
Good luck hun Very happy

jellybeanjellybean
May you both have many nights full of wonderfull trouble free sleep Smile

StaceStace
Thank you jellybean and alex, so do i Very happy

FfionFfion
- My blog
elise was nearly 2 when she got her own room! i was living with my mum then with the inlaws untill we got this house, max was 9-10 months when i put him in elise's room

good luck i hope it works out for you hun!

StaceStace
It seems her being 11 month might not be that much of a problem after all thank you ffion :)ill tell you how are night goes tomorrow!

gemmagemma
hope it goes well stace.

and i wouldn't say 'everyone else was right at all' you have to do whats best for you and your family. What works for some dosn't work for others, and kids never seem to make things easy so i think there's advantages and disadvantages whatever we do. basically we can't ever win Wink

and a bit of pointless information for you...apparently we are one of the few societys that don't co-sleep as the norm.

Gemma

Join JustParents for free to reply

Search

Questions needing your answer

Latest Reviews